Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netgear WGT624 Router Dropping Connection

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netgear WGT624 Router Dropping Connection

Old 24-01-2011, 20:51   #16
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Netgear WGT624 Router Dropping Connection

Try ringing in the morning and if you get a UK agent ask them to send a new modem as regardless of what the offshore agent said it needs replacing.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-01-2011, 08:29   #17
dave6x
Inactive

Services: VM BBL 3Mb> 10Mb> 20Mb> 30Mb> 50Mb> 70Mb
dave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
Try ringing in the morning and if you get a UK agent ask them to send a new modem as regardless of what the offshore agent said it needs replacing.
Tried again this morning, just after 08:00 unfortunately got another off-shore agent. After about 5 mins of the usual I asked if I could be transfered to a UK agent and was told they don't have dedicated UK agent teams. After 10 mins I got so frustrated with the run-around I asked to be transfered to retentions, this was not forthcoming so I rang off before I said something I might regret!!!!
dave6x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 08:36   #18
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6x View Post
Tried again this morning, just after 08:00 unfortunately got another off-shore agent. After about 5 mins of the usual I asked if I could be transfered to a UK agent and was told they don't have dedicated UK agent teams. After 10 mins I got so frustrated with the run-around I asked to be transfered to retentions, this was not forthcoming so I rang off before I said something I might regret!!!!
All I can say is try again and if you go through to Retentions say you are considering disconnecting over this issue.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 10:33   #19
dave6x
Inactive

dave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
All I can say is try again and if you go through to Retentions say you are considering disconnecting over this issue.
Thanks again.

I am in a BT Infinity enabled area so if I can't resolve this soon without further hassle I may be tempted to jump ship, sad after nearly 9 years as a loyal VM/NTL BB customer!!!!
Old 26-01-2011, 08:13   #20
dave6x
Inactive

Quote:
Success!!! Got through to yet another off-shore agent a few minutes ago, he was extremely helpful and has finally agreed to send me a new modem.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:36   #21
UnrealJo
Inactive

UnrealJo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6x View Post
The Belkin router I have is wired only and SLOW only giving me 5Mb/s max, ...
However my theory, for what it's worth, is that the Netgear WGT624 is less tolerant of the output it is seeing from the modem than is the Belkin, maybe that could be a signal level and/or SNR problem at the output from the modem. By placing the Belkin router in circuit it is possible that the Netgear WGT624 is now seeing a signal level and/or SNR from the Belkin router that suits it better hence the fact it hasn't dropped connection in this configuration. The fact that the WGT624 went from dropping connection approx weekly down to every couple of hours leads me to believe that something changed, either in the output from the modem or the input of the WGT624, unfortunately I have neither the specs on the modem or router, nor the equipment to carry out the tests as long gone are the days when I did that sort of thing for a living!!!
Another theory: Netgear is failing due to packet overload/reaching packet drop thresholds. Belkin prevents the drop because (a) it is more tolerant and (b) the traffic reaching the Netgear router is reduced and slower.
Has anything changed in the way that you are using the network? New peer-to-peer type connects for example, added equipment using the router etc. The change may be in your household usage patterns rather than ageing equipment. If the latter, you may be able to track the culprit down and limit excessive usage. Still, I would be inclined to update myself - wireless standards and ADSL protocols have moved a lot over the last 8 years.
UnrealJo is offline   Reply With Quote