Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Trying to ftp things back from my ubuntu server to Windows

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Trying to ftp things back from my ubuntu server to Windows

Old 16-01-2011, 09:25   #1
funkyCable
THE FUNKIEST ON THE BOARD

Services: SERVICES FROM 26/08/05 TV XL services 2MB BROADBRAND UNLIMITED TALK PACKAGE V+ Service (Since 18
funkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nice
Trying to ftp things back from my ubuntu server to Windows

Hi I wonder if someone can help me I'm using filezilla client on my windows machine and I can ftp things across to my ubuntu server but I cannot retrieve the file back. I just get a timeout.

I also tried with komodoedit which has its own ftp program built in and I can browse my server but cannot open the files to edit them.
funkyCable is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-01-2011, 10:22   #2
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age
Re: Trying to ftp things back from my ubuntu server to Windows

You'd probably be better enabling scp on the ubuntu box and then getting
winscp (http://winscp.net), added bonus of a built in terminal client as well.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 13:31   #3
funkyCable

Services: SERVICES FROM 26/08/05 TV XL services 2MB BROADBRAND UNLIMITED TALK PACKAGE V+ Service (Since 18
funkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nice

How do I enable scp on the ubuntu box
Old 16-01-2011, 13:35   #4
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

You probably need to enable SSH, which is within services, in either the administration or preferences submenu.

You could also try "service sshd up" in a terminal window, you'd probably have to run this command as root, or do an "su" before it.

Also, I wonder if this is firewall related, wonder if either the linux or the windows box is only allowing transfers in one direction.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 20:27   #5
funkyCable

OK I enabled SSH and managed to connect om y ubuntu machine through winscp. but i get Host not communication for 15secs still waiting. Again I can copy a file from my windows 7 machine to my ubuntu machine using winscp.

I'm thinking its a permission issue I have checked ubuntu and my user has got read access. I disabled my windows 7 firewall and ubuntu firewall and still does not work. The windows & users I'm logged in as has admin rights.
Old 27-01-2011, 19:43   #6
funkyCable

Still experiencing this issue. I think I have narrowed the problem down. I am able to ftp to and from another machine (netbook) which is running XP. From my Windows 7 Machine I can only FTP out but not in. Any one else experience this or have some advice?
Old 27-01-2011, 21:28   #7
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Have you got full permission on the destination folder? Is the firewall allowing the connection through on the Win7 machine?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 12:11   #8
mr_bo
Inactive

Services: V+ | o2 BB
mr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful one

SSH Secure Shell

trying to find the free one..
mr_bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 12:52   #9
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Set filezilla to try SFTP (port 22) in the site manager
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote