Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | FIFA World Cup 2010 South Africa

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

FIFA World Cup 2010 South Africa

Old 12-07-2010, 17:45   #676
Matty_
cf.geek

Matty_ has reached the bronze age
Matty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze age
Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 South Africa

Brilliant Punky, the Sonic one is especially good
Matty_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2010, 19:07   #677
Niles Crane
Inactive

Niles Crane has reached the bronze age
Niles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze age

I think i have post-World Cup depression. It doesn't feel like it should be over and i can't get back into normality. I spent 3 weeks in South Africa and i can honestly say i had the time of my life, and i can't wait to go back. Roll on Brazil 2014!
Niles Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 19:21   #678
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niles Crane View Post
I think i have post-World Cup depression. It doesn't feel like it should be over and i can't get back into normality. I spent 3 weeks in South Africa and i can honestly say i had the time of my life, and i can't wait to go back. Roll on Brazil 2014!
How you get tickets for all the games you seemed to go too?
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 20:31   #679
Niles Crane
Inactive

Niles Crane has reached the bronze age
Niles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze ageNiles Crane has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
How you get tickets for all the games you seemed to go too?
Straight from FIFA.com. Apart from Uruguay vs Ghana, i traded my Argentina vs Germany ticket for that.
Niles Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 21:08   #680
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niles Crane View Post
Straight from FIFA.com. Apart from Uruguay vs Ghana, i traded my Argentina vs Germany ticket for that.
What did you think about the World Cup in the end? I am torn, The noise was horrible for the first couple of weeks (then either people stopped the Vuvuzelas, or the TV Companies found a way to tune it out), some of the pitches were poor and the stadiums not full. I heard transport was poor as well.

On the other hand the African vibe give it a district personality and style that one could argue was missing from the German World Cup, and a sense that hosting it there made the World Cup feel truly global and uniting. I think that overall it increased the respect and allure of the tournament.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 09:38   #681
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

For the first world cup held in Africa I thought it was a great success and the grounds, infrastructure, security, staff and population did really well..

The only thing to let it down for me were a few of the teams who seemed to play without much spirit.

As for the vuvuzellas once I set the TV sound up correctly it wasn't that much of an issue and as with any constant sound the brain soon tuned it out.

Well done South Africa
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 09:50   #682
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Only 1423 days until Brazil
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 09:54   #683
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Nationwide has dropped their sponsorship of the England football team. But news that the Football Association today proudly unveiled Total, fcuk and UPS as the new sponsors of the England football team. 'The combination of these three corporate giants perfectly captures the ethos of the England side,' said an FA spokesman. 'After all, they had nothing in the tank when it counted, and they've proved themselves to be a bunch of expensive posers who always fail to deliver.'
Old 14-07-2010, 10:14   #684
Shadow Demon UK
Inactive

Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal
Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
For the first world cup held in Africa I thought it was a great success and the grounds, infrastructure, security, staff and population did really well..

The only thing to let it down for me were a few of the teams who seemed to play without much spirit.

As for the vuvuzellas once I set the TV sound up correctly it wasn't that much of an issue and as with any constant sound the brain soon tuned it out.

Well done South Africa
Shadow Demon UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 10:25   #685
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Demon UK View Post
So, they got caught out by a habitual pitch invader? Not a big deal really, imo.
Old 14-07-2010, 10:29   #686
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

I said they did really well, didn't say perfect

At least though the trophy wasn't stolen like in '66...
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 10:50   #687
Shadow Demon UK
Inactive

Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal
Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
So, they got caught out by a habitual pitch invader? Not a big deal really, imo.
And a bloke "looking for the toilet" getting into a teams dressing room. It wasn't great security really, on both occasions it could have been a lot worse due to the lax security.
Shadow Demon UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 10:56   #688
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

to be honest I found a lot of the football for this WC as uninspiring. Most of the matches seemed to be dull and it just seemed to be teams getting a result rather than seeing the best players in the world on show.

Guess the only team that had a run of good matches was the Germans
sherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 11:05   #689
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
And a bloke "looking for the toilet" getting into a teams dressing room. It wasn't great security really, on both occasions it could have been a lot worse due to the lax security.
True, I'd forgotten about that one. However, just look at the list of invasions that bloke has to his name: eurovision, F1 grand prix, Roland Garos finals, European Cup finals and semi finals, Champion's league finals (twice). I think it's a bit too easy to claim that security in SA was particularly lax.
Old 14-07-2010, 11:17   #690
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
I think given the build up, the security went quite well.

Everyone was saying that all tourists will be mugged, then car jacked, then raped and then finally murdered in 4 separate incidents, within 1 day of landing.

There wasn't really any of that, that I know of.

That Jimmy Jump is a nutter. The amount of times he's probably been beaten up by rent-a-thugs in suits or by stewards doesn't bear thinking about.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote