Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Powerline Adaptors?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Powerline Adaptors?

Old 24-04-2010, 16:00   #31
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Powerline Adaptors?

Just ask him his views on the powerline adaptors, if he's had any problems with neighbours using them (or heard of anyone else having problems) and that you are aware that they can cause problems hence you're asking him first..

He'll either do one of three things

1# Give you a blank stare and close the door
2# Tell you there is/isn't an issue
3# have a good long chat with you and start telling you about ham radio whilst doing you a nice cup of tea whilst he demonstrates his equipment

Most will be #3, some though can be #1
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-04-2010, 18:25   #32
SiJ2000
Inactive

Services: VM Broadband and lots of STBs!
SiJ2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nothing wrong with network over mains. They can introduce a little jitter, but are reliable nonetheless.

With regards to hacking, they are fine, but I recommend using ones which support encryption and using the encryption!
SiJ2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2010, 19:09   #33
taylorig
Inactive

Services: VM Basic TV/30Mbit BB/Phone
taylorig is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Depends on the speed, the cable and whether it's near any sources of interference.. CAT6 will work further than 100M on 100Mbps where as CAT5 is restricted to 100M for the same speed in perfect conditions..

Actually the industry standard is the same for CAT6 as it is for CAT5 or Enhanced. This 100m length includes a patch cable at either end as well.

We know it will still work a little further than the standard distance but it's when you come to test it with say a Fluke tester it would fail. If untested to the industry standards then yes you can go quite a bit further.

I know this to be 100% correct as it's my everyday job.
taylorig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 12:29   #34
Hiroki
Inactive

Services: SkyHD, Freesat & Virgin Media TV/BB
Hiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Hiroki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Just ask him his views on the powerline adaptors, if he's had any problems with neighbours using them (or heard of anyone else having problems) and that you are aware that they can cause problems hence you're asking him first..

He'll either do one of three things

1# Give you a blank stare and close the door
2# Tell you there is/isn't an issue
3# have a good long chat with you and start telling you about ham radio whilst doing you a nice cup of tea whilst he demonstrates his equipment

Most will be #3, some though can be #1
Was mainly 3 and 1.

He showed me his radio equipment and explained it all (went over my head) and I found out things like he used to be in the police and that his house was an ex-police house so a few of the aerials belong to that but since he has retired all this stuff is now his hobby so I decided to just wire up mums house properly to keep the peace

Really nice bloke though so I am glad I got to go and speak to him
Hiroki is offline   Reply With Quote