Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 2 routers 1 cable modem?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

2 routers 1 cable modem?

Old 21-04-2010, 17:13   #1
daz196
Inactive

Services: Tv size XL Phone 20mb ntl255
daz196 is on a distinguished roaddaz196 is on a distinguished road
2 routers 1 cable modem?

Hi,i need to set up 2 routers to 1 cable router,
because my belkin F5D8235-4 v2000 router,
will not let me connect to http://www.pinataisland.info/
i been on the phone to belkin no joy,

I have a netgear WGR614 v6,which what i wanna do is,
from modem use ethernet to a twin splitter,
from splitter to ethernet to netgear WGR614 v6,use this one as wireless,

from splitter use belkin F5D8235-4 v2000, use this wired xbox's
i want to keep the belkin,because its lets me use 3 xbox's,without any problems,
the netgear,just wont let connect 3 xboxes,without rebooting router,
so can you give me advice on getting a splitter,
unless you know i way of going to http://www.pinataisland.info/
thanks
daz
daz196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-04-2010, 17:39   #2
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age
Re: 2 routers 1 cable modem?

You can't do this.

1. Only one(if any) of the connected routers would get an IP address

2. splitters need to be used in pairs, combining two Ethernet feeds on to one cable, and then splitting the feed back into two again at the other end. Horrible things, have about 40 of them in use at work for offices where there aren't enough ports.

---------- Post added at 17:39 ---------- Previous post was at 17:23 ----------

BTW, have you tied using the Virgin proxy.

Assuming your using IE7, go to tools, internet options, connections tab, press the lan settings button, and select the "use a proxy server for your LAN" box, in the box along side it that's marked address, type in webcache.virginmedia.com then put the number 8080 in the box titled "port". OK all open windows untill your back to the normal IE screen.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 19:15   #3
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

I`m not sure it would be worth it just because you cant access one particular website but if you really want the 2 routers on one network then you could connect the second router to one of the LAN ports on the first router, or even another PC using ICS. You first have to turn off the DHCP server on the 2nd router/wireless access point and give it a static ip outside the range of the DHCP server on the main router. There might be other router/gateway type settings that need adjust on your particular routers but it`s the same principle regardless. There`s plenty information out there regarding "2 routers on one network".
Again i`m not sure why you`d go to that hassle just because you cant access a website but each to their own.... . I actually do a similar thing myself for our girls wireless access point although i have the 2nd router, acting as the wireless access point, getting it`s net from my desktop via ics on this side of the house, which also acts as the houses file/print/nfs server, amongst other things. That`s about all the poor thing does now-a-days in fact.
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 19:20   #4
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

To do what you want you'd actually need a 3rd router, which you'd use where you want to currently place a splitter. It'd be a completely overkill solution for the wrong problem.

---------- Post added at 19:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpod View Post
I`m not sure it would be worth it just because you cant access one particular website but if you really want the 2 routers on one network then you could connect the second router to one of the LAN ports on the first router
This probably wouldn't work with the problem he's having though, as the problems will likely still exist.

If he has the Belkin connected to the netgear then having 3 xboxes going through the netgear (even if via the belkin) would probably still cause it to reboot.

And if he has the netgear connected to the belkin, net requests are still going to be going through the belkin so the website will probably still be unreachable.
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 19:45   #5
xpod
Inactive

xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post

If he has the Belkin connected to the netgear then having 3 xboxes going through the netgear (even if via the belkin) would probably still cause it to reboot.

And if he has the netgear connected to the belkin, net requests are still going to be going through the belkin so the website will probably still be unreachable.

I was thinking more along the lines of the Belkin as the main Modem connected router, for the wired xboxes, and the Netgear as the wireless access point, with no xboxes....???
The only similar situation we`ve ever had with consoles & routers was our lads PS3 seemingly killing the wired and wireless connections at the same time, on different routers. It didn`t matter if he was connected(wirelessly) to whatever was acting as the main router at the time or indeed the separate access point. After eventually running a wire upstairs though we`ve never had the problem re-occur. A couple of the routers in question did die completely some weeks & months later so that just threw any assumptions i had to start with right out the Window.
Old 21-04-2010, 21:06   #6
daz196
Inactive

Services: Tv size XL Phone 20mb ntl255
daz196 is on a distinguished roaddaz196 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post
You can't do this.

BTW, have you tied using the Virgin proxy.

Assuming your using IE7, go to tools, internet options, connections tab, press the lan settings button, and select the "use a proxy server for your LAN" box, in the box along side it that's marked address, type in webcache.virginmedia.com then put the number 8080 in the box titled "port". OK all open windows untill your back to the normal IE screen.
You are a star i used webcache.virginmedia.com,
works no problems,
sounds likes a lot of hassle for one website,
but my son been driving nuts,
its to help him with viva pinata,
i so glad this turned out a easy fix,
that router route sounded a lot off hassle,
thanks for all your replies
daz
daz196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 21:32   #7
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpod View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of the Belkin as the main Modem connected router, for the wired xboxes, and the Netgear as the wireless access point, with no xboxes....???
But then the issue with that website not working will probably still persist, as web traffic still has to flow through the Belkin?

All academic really though as the OP's issue has been solved!
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 23:29   #8
xpod
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
But then the issue with that website not working will probably still persist, as web traffic still has to flow through the Belkin?

All academic really though as the OP's issue has been solved!
Yeah, i thought the website might still persist at first but then i also assumed that would be something easily solvable ....as it turned out to be.
Using the 2 routers has just always been handy here so i just thought i`d let them know that using 2 was still doable......even if pretty pointless in this case. :-)