Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BT house extension wiring help please

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BT house extension wiring help please

Old 28-12-2008, 18:21   #1
rtj
Inactive

rtj is an unknown quantity at this point
BT house extension wiring help please

(Hope this is in the right forum). I have a problem with the interior wiring -i.e past the BT master socket.

The master socket is wired thus:
Terminal 5 - 2 blue wires
Terminal 2 Orange and a Green wire (i.e 2 separate wires, each coming from a different cable).
Terminal 3. exactly as Terminal 2.

This socket works OK - it has a ‘phone and a broadband connection. A spur to the kitchen also works OK. The wiring for this is:
5 Blue
3 Orange
2 Green

The socket that I believe to be the problem also links with an upstairs socket. Obviously this doesn’t work either.

The socket (in my study) is wired like this:
2 Green plus another wire - White + Green.
3 Orange
5 Blue

Now, when I unscrewed it from the wall 2 loose wires were evident: Orange + white, which I believe should go on 3, and Blue+ white, which I believe should go 2.

Here’s my dilemma: when I connect the 2 loose wires in those terminals - I still get a dead ‘phone - not even dialing tone tone.

I tried several combinations to no avail - even the Blue + white onto blue (Terminal 4).

The upstairs socket to which my study socket is linked is wired thus:
5 Blue, and Blue+white
3 Orange, and orange+white
2 Green, and White+Green

I’ve just replaced the study socket with a new one with screw terminals. It still doesn’t work.

Please can anyone help?

Thanks,
RTJ
rtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-12-2008, 18:28   #2
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig
Re: BT house extension wiring help please

try this

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...telephone.html

and or this

http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/wiring_info.htm
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 18:34   #3
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

If it helps, it looks as though your extensions have been incorrectly wired - if you can work out which cable is which, wire up your sockets as follows:

Connector 2 Blue with white rings
Connector 3 Orange with white rings
Connector 5 White with blue rings

If you wire socket to socket in this fashion, these are BT's standard colours and you should be OK

Peter
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 18:38   #4
rtj
Inactive

Thanks, I had already viewed those -but they didn't seem to help I'm afraid (unless I overlooked something!).

Thanks anyway,

BW

RTJ

---------- Post added at 18:38 ---------- Previous post was at 18:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers View Post
If it helps, it looks as though your extensions have been incorrectly wired - if you can work out which cable is which, wire up your sockets as follows:

Connector 2 Blue with white rings
Connector 3 Orange with white rings
Connector 5 White with blue rings

If you wire socket to socket in this fashion, these are BT's standard colours and you should be OK

Peter
Thanks. I have no white +Blue (although I do have Blue+white on 5).

Will have another go... thanks

BW

RTJ
Old 28-12-2008, 18:38   #5
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age

have you got something to check there is power reaching the second socket ?

i have often found the wires snap easily in master socket
Old 28-12-2008, 23:10   #6
rtj
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermevans View Post
have you got something to check there is power reaching the second socket ?

i have often found the wires snap easily in master socket
Thanks; will check in the morning.
I'm expecting something around -50v Dc. Correct?

BW

RTJ
Old 29-12-2008, 12:46   #7
rtj
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtj View Post
Thanks; will check in the morning.
I'm expecting something around -50v Dc. Correct?

BW

RTJ
I used a Clarke multi-meter and checked it worked Ok on a 9v battery. Tried it on my study socket terminals and found no voltage at all (tried all combinations of terminals). Funny thing is that I also tried it on the kitchen spur (that socket works OK, and found no voltage there either!). It makes little sense to me!
Thanks,
Richard
Old 29-12-2008, 16:59   #8
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

strange
did you check this page out

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...tallation.html

got quite a bit on fault finding on there
Old 29-12-2008, 17:02   #9
rtj
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermevans View Post
strange
did you check this page out

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...tallation.html

got quite a bit on fault finding on there
Thanks - yes I did.

Bw

Rich
Old 16-01-2010, 15:12   #10
marionette
Inactive

marionette is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry to drag up a old topic but seems to at alose for a answer to my own problem. I'll start off with a basic layout of my adsl/phone cabling and what im hoping to fix/work etc.
my phone wiring has been a total mess since some sky bod came round and installed the sky box in here's how it was: from master socket to adsl filter, 1 cable to router 1 to a second phone 2way adapter with 2 cables for the sky (multi room 1 upstairs 1 downstairs) then the phone line onto the 2way adapter. I've spoken to a few people including a bt engineer (who kindly gave me a adsl/phone master with the built in bt accelerator for free) Ive got as far as changing this and it's helped some what, but now to the problem: i was hoping to run a phone cable from the back plate of the adsl/phone plate to a junction box (i got a PHILEX 8way junction box from B&Q) then run 2 cables off the junction box to phone sockets (1 for upstairs 1 for down stairs) is this possable with the junction box i have? have i gotten the wrong one? were can i find a wiring diagram if it's possable?
marionette is offline   Reply With Quote