Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | IP Address

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

IP Address

Old 13-01-2010, 11:56   #1
dunnock
Inactive

dunnock is an unknown quantity at this point
IP Address

While I was on a website recently my broadband connection suddenly failed. Having checked that there were no problems in my area I spoke to the Virgin technical staff, who I found very helpful, and they found that my IP address was the problem however they were unable to change the address and advised me that the fault was with my computer and that I would need to find someone to fix it. Being a resourceful type of person I put my thinking cap on and changed my modem connection to my second LAN connection on my computer and got connected again. I am now wondering how my IP address was changed? and what would be the best way to try and correct the IP address on my first LAN connection. Any observations and thoughts welcome.
dunnock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-01-2010, 12:01   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: IP Address

Welcome to the forum.

Post moved to Networking as it's not VM's fault

Virgin IP's are not static, even the business accounts on sticky IP's can be changed on a fault/re-segment.

Just make sure that the LAN is set to aquire an IP/dns automatically, reboot the modem and reboot the PC in that order, if LAN #1 doesn't work after that try re-installing the drivers and if it doesn't work after that it could be a hardware fault.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 12:13   #3
dunnock
Inactive

Thanks for your reply and redirecting my post. How do I check that the LAN is set to aquire an IP/dns auotmatically?
Old 13-01-2010, 12:34   #4
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnock View Post
Thanks for your reply and redirecting my post. How do I check that the LAN is set to aquire an IP/dns auotmatically?
From a command prompt, type ipconfig/all

The results should include a line that says DHCP enabled......:Yes

If this isn't the case then you can set it in Network connections within Control Panel.

Open Network connections, Right click on your network connection, choose properties.

Now choose Internet protocol (TCP/ip) and choose properties. Ensure the radio button for obtain an address automatically is selected. There is one button for IP and one for DNS.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 12:36   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Which OS is it..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 13:03   #6
dunnock
Inactive

Windows XP home edition. Just off now to collect the grandchildren from school this afternoon, thanks for you help I shall check it out later.
Old 14-01-2010, 19:54   #7
dunnock
Inactive

I have now checked that the LAN is set to aquire an IP/dns automatically. Could you advise me which drivers I have to reinstall and how I reinstall them please.
Old 15-01-2010, 16:22   #8
Pog66
Inactive

Services: SKY HD+, BT BB
Pog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant future

what drivers are you being asked to reinstall? if it is for the Network card then they would be on the setup disk that came with the PC?
Pog66 is offline   Reply With Quote