Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless router problem (laptop)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless router problem (laptop)

Old 09-10-2009, 23:11   #1
Robisme
Inactive

Robisme is on a distinguished roadRobisme is on a distinguished road
Wireless router problem (laptop)

Hi, just copying this from another forum where I posted it.

Hi, As you can guess my knowledge of computer working is very limited , had my daughters laptop here at my home a while, it's been fine and connecting to internet fine, though I don't know what connection it's been making lol, because when our wireless modem was off, the laptop was still connected to the net
Now we have this D Link wireless router, that it used to connect to at one time, well my daughter said it was, I don't know myself.

Was working fine until this week (laptop), now it's not connecting, maybe the connection it used to use is gone , dunno.
The D Link is ON, but the laptop says...."No wireless networks were found in range."
I don't l
know how or what to do, appreciate any help please on this matter.

thanks

PS, the wireless router is a D Link 802.11g Wireless Broadband Router - DI-524, something I know absolutely zero about.

Also, I now absolutely nothing about setting up the wireless router or password or how you login to whatever you login to, sorry for being a noob at this, just need some help please.
I'm on my pc a the mo, laptop being my daughters. (windows XP, if anyone needs to know what system)
Robisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2009, 23:18   #2
CHiLL
cf.geek

Services: Sky+ TV and Virgin Media 10MB Internet.
CHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Wireless router problem (laptop)

It is possible that the modems wireless hasn't been activated, and your daughter has been piggybacking off someone else's wireless.

You may need to connect to the router via a cable, open up an Internet browser and type something like:

or

This should open the configuration page of the modem/router (It should be in the manual for the modem)

You will need to enter the user name and password (default user/pass located in manual)

Within the options, you should find a WLAN (Wireless LAN) section, and an option to turn the wireless on. Then try to connect to it from the laptop.
CHiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 23:20   #3
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Connect the laptop to the router in one of the number ports on the back then follow the instructions below.
  1. Connect to the router using your web browser by typing "http://192.168.0.1" into the URL address box.
  2. Enter the Username "admin" and leave the password field blank when the login prompt appears.
  3. Now click this link and then click run the wizard in the centre http://support.dlink.com/emulators/di524/h_wizard.html
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:14   #4
Robisme
Inactive

Hi, thanks for the help Moldova
Just come up against a new problem (sort-of), my daughter does not remember the password, tried a few and no good, so what next ?
Old 10-10-2009, 11:44   #5
CHiLL
cf.geek

CHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of light

You may have to do a hard reset, that will reset the router to it's factory settings. (Usually by holding the reset button for 30 seconds)

Don't forget though, once it has been reset, the router will need reconfiguring for everything to work correctly.
Old 10-10-2009, 19:25   #6
Robisme
Inactive

ok had to press the reset, no idea how to use the wizzard & set up ect
or how you set up security.
I know nothing about this stuff, sadly, not needed to do this stuff before in my 53 yrs lol
Old 10-10-2009, 20:55   #7
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

You will need to do a pinhole reset of the router while it is powered up, look on the back next to the power socket and use a pen and count slowly to 15.

Now connect the laptop to the router with an ethernet cable in one of the numbered ports on the back then follow the instructions below.
  1. Type into the address bar the following address 192.168.0.1 into the URL address box.
  2. Enter the Username "admin" and leave the password field blank when the login prompt appears.
  3. Now click this link to see what the internal pages look like. http://support.dlink.com/emulators/di524/h_wizard.html
  4. On the left had side click the Wireless button and you will see Security under SSID so click in WPA-PSK and the page will change.
  5. Now in the SSID you can put in a name for your router and a password can be entered twice in the Passphrase boxes, click apply and close the webpage.
  6. Now disconnect the ethernet cable and look for your newly named network, when you find it click connect and you will be prompted for the passphrase, enter it click connect and when it says connected open Internet Explore and happy browsing.
Old 10-10-2009, 22:13   #8
CHiLL
cf.geek

Moldova has it spot on. Also, the SSID is what everyone see's in their wireless list. Though they wont be able to connect to it if it's secured with WPA-PSK.
Old 10-10-2009, 22:16   #9
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHiLL View Post
Moldova has it spot on. Also, the SSID is what everyone see's in their wireless list. Though they wont be able to connect to it if it's secured with WPA-PSK.
It was my previous router, and a lot easier to set up than my present Edimax one.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:40   #10
Robisme
Inactive

thanks very much, brought in my 16 yrs old sons logic, together we got it sorted, thank you very much guys.