Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help please Buffalo wireless and virgin cable

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help please Buffalo wireless and virgin cable

Old 10-06-2009, 18:49   #1
dyshipfakta
Inactive

dyshipfakta is an unknown quantity at this point
Help please Buffalo wireless and virgin cable

Hi everyone, Complete novice in the wirelessy type tinterweb stuff lol
Trying to get a buffalo wireless-n whrg300n wireless router to work with virgin. I plugged it in installed the software etc and get to a stage where it requires pppoe and dhcp settings. Now here in is where the problem lies apparently I have neither and my old router didnt require these (netgear) If anyone could shed some light on it for me or point me in the direction that would be great.
Thanks
Andy
dyshipfakta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2009, 18:51   #2
xocemp

Re: Help please Buffalo wireless and virgin cable

Sounds like you have a ADSL router, which is no good for a cable connection

Should also be in Networking
Old 10-06-2009, 18:57   #3
dyshipfakta
Inactive

No its deffinatly a cable router already checked that.
Cheers tho. Didnt really know where to post its kind of between the 2 lol
Old 10-06-2009, 19:18   #4
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Can you choose 'Dynamic' as the connection type?
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 19:22   #5
dyshipfakta
Inactive

I does ask for the dchp stuff which is the dynamic but for some reason still wants some password type stuff which i thought was bizarre.
Old 10-06-2009, 19:40   #6
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Are you using a CD to configure it or are you logged straight into the router?
Old 10-06-2009, 20:01   #7
dyshipfakta
Inactive

Using the cd but I can log into the router directly and edit settings. Its just cant get the internet through it if that makes sence.

---------- Post added at 19:01 ---------- Previous post was at 18:54 ----------

Can I set up the settings for dchp this way do you think? Only problem is i dont have any of the ips or anything...:s
Old 10-06-2009, 20:08   #8
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Log in directly & run the wizard. It should pick up all the settings automatically according to the manual...
Old 10-06-2009, 20:24   #9
dyshipfakta
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
Log in directly & run the wizard. It should pick up all the settings automatically according to the manual...

Yeah sounds fairly good doesnt it not the case tho I will keep trying thank you for the help.
Old 10-06-2009, 23:44   #10
Joxer
Inactive

Services: 20Mb BB, phone
Joxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Joxer

Look for an option that says the connection does not require a login, or something similar, because it doesn't and the router is trying to log in.
Joxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 19:06   #11
middlefinger
Inactive

middlefinger is an unknown quantity at this point

All I did with my buffalo wireless router was unplug my cable modem for 2hrs and then after 2hrs connect the router and plug the modem back in. After that it was all working and I could get the net wired without any messings, only thing I had to do was set security up for the wireless.

Have you used a router before with your cable? If you have you will definately need to unhook the modem for an hr or two so it refreshes itself.
middlefinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 19:53   #12
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Most wireless routers have the wireless option disabled.

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 21:03   #13
dyshipfakta
Inactive

Hi guys I dont have wireless but my uncle does and hes around the corner same modem and connection etc so it should work. Its a strange one. It does even allow connection to the internet with an ethernet cable ... Deffinatly some settings issues will have another try tomora perhaps its just annoying.