Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | IPv6

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

IPv6

Old 12-03-2009, 18:59   #1
Mezzle
Inactive

Services: V+, 20Mb BB, Phone
Mezzle is an unknown quantity at this point
IPv6

Is anyone else out there running IPv6 yet?

I'm running it through sixxs.net and my VM connection, and it seems to be going swimmingly well (although there are sometimes a few issues with PCs other than my main one picking up an address, but that's a case of restarting the router advertisement daemon)
Mezzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-03-2009, 07:21   #2
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: IPv6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezzle View Post
Is anyone else out there running IPv6 yet?

I'm running it through sixxs.net and my VM connection, and it seems to be going swimmingly well (although there are sometimes a few issues with PCs other than my main one picking up an address, but that's a case of restarting the router advertisement daemon)
You may have an IPv6 address but your Virgin service is not running using it as the will be an IPv4 address below it that we are using, to test just go to LAN settings properties and remove the tick in front of the IPv6 and leave the tick in !Pv4 and you will still be on the internet, try putting the tick in IPv6 and out of IPv4 and you will lose your connection.

your IP will begin with either 62,77,80,81,82,92,94 or 213 the may be one missing.

Information on IPv4 and IPv6 CLICK HERE
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 19:33   #3
Mezzle
Inactive

I *do* know the difference between ipv6 nd ipv4. I apologise if my post wasn't clear.

I've specifically setup an IPv6 tunnel through a broker, which I am making accessible to the rest of my LAN.
Old 13-03-2009, 19:57   #4
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezzle View Post
I *do* know the difference between ipv6 nd ipv4. I apologise if my post wasn't clear.

I've specifically setup an IPv6 tunnel through a broker, which I am making accessible to the rest of my LAN.
Good to see someone going forwards with their connection, so just remoting through your Virgin connection
Old 13-03-2009, 20:12   #5
Mezzle
Inactive

Yep, my Main Desktop has the tunnel using aiccu, then that broadcasts across my LAN the route, and routes all traffic through it.

I think that having this, along with reverse DNS is pretty useful, espescially when I want to see what I've left connected. It also makes it quite nice to be able to SSH into my home machines properly from my (native) IPv6 enabled servers
Old 16-05-2009, 18:59   #6
RamJet
Inactive

RamJet will become famous soon enoughRamJet will become famous soon enoughRamJet will become famous soon enough

I've just noticed that my connection IP addresses seems to be in hex all of a sudden - has there been a change ie is VM now using IPv6 ?
RamJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 20:20   #7
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamJet View Post
I've just noticed that my connection IP addresses seems to be in hex all of a sudden - has there been a change ie is VM now using IPv6 ?
No because as you are on Vista in the DOS page it will show an IPv6 address and lower down it will show the IPv4 address that you are connected with.

Also if you go to the network and sharing centre and disable IPv6 with no effect to your connection.