Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Lost Channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Lost Channels

Old 01-05-2009, 22:11   #1
Simplemeans
Inactive

Simplemeans is an unknown quantity at this point
Lost Channels

Guys

I'm in need of some help - and may have been ripped off.

I recently had sky installed (sky+ and sky multi room). Everything was OK until a neighbour started winging about the dish being unsightly on the front of the house.

I therefore paid £230 for a private company to move the dish to the roof.

The problem is that after the dish was moved I noticed that a few channels are no longer being received. These have a message saying 'No signal' on the screen.

I contacted the firm who moved my dish and they said that the channels I cannot receive (such as TVEi) send a weak signal to the satelite. This signal is then lost due to the additional length of wires going from my dish to the sky box.

My questions are:

1) Am I being lied to.
2) What can I do about this? Is there a signal booster device I could use to ensure that I get all the channels, or do I have to buy a bigger dish?
Simplemeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2009, 02:30   #2
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Re: Lost Channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplemeans View Post
Guys

I'm in need of some help - and may have been ripped off.

I recently had sky installed (sky+ and sky multi room). Everything was OK until a neighbour started winging about the dish being unsightly on the front of the house.

I therefore paid £230 for a private company to move the dish to the roof.

The problem is that after the dish was moved I noticed that a few channels are no longer being received. These have a message saying 'No signal' on the screen.

I contacted the firm who moved my dish and they said that the channels I cannot receive (such as TVEi) send a weak signal to the satelite. This signal is then lost due to the additional length of wires going from my dish to the sky box.

My questions are:

1) Am I being lied to.
2) What can I do about this? Is there a signal booster device I could use to ensure that I get all the channels, or do I have to buy a bigger dish?
You're being lied to. By the sounds of things they haven't aligned it properly, it's pointing more towards one dish rather than inbetween both (Astra 28.2E and Eurobird 28.5E). Length of wires has little impact on signal being lost to the box, as the box has to provide the LNB (thing on the end of the dish) to receive the channels. Either way, they've done a crap job. My suggestion to you would be find a Hughes if you're in East Anglia somewhere as they do very good installations, particularly in Lowestoft, or another well-reputed sat-dish installer. They should be able to align it properly for the cost of a call-out fee or a bit higher for optimum Sky reception. Check that they'll be able to access it on the roof though.

As an aside, why didn't you just ask the neighbour to put up with it? You've spent a lot of money having it moved, which you didn't have to do. As it's now costing you more, a polite discussion with him about fronting some of the cost of moving it might be a good idea. What was so unsightly about it in the first place? Every house up my street back home has a dish on the front of it pointing to the sky, and nobody's complained.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:40   #3
Simplemeans
Inactive

Thumbs up Re: Lost Channels

Thanks for the advice.

I live in North London. Can anyone recommend a decent firm to realign my dish?
Old 02-05-2009, 18:17   #4
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Machine View Post
You're being lied to. By the sounds of things they haven't aligned it properly, it's pointing more towards one dish rather than inbetween both (Astra 28.2E and Eurobird 28.5E). Length of wires has little impact on signal being lost to the box, as the box has to provide the LNB (thing on the end of the dish) to receive the channels. Either way, they've done a crap job. My suggestion to you would be find a Hughes if you're in East Anglia somewhere as they do very good installations, particularly in Lowestoft, or another well-reputed sat-dish installer. They should be able to align it properly for the cost of a call-out fee or a bit higher for optimum Sky reception. Check that they'll be able to access it on the roof though.
The signal travels miles to get to the satellites and back. I shouldn't think a few extra feet of cable will make any difference. I agree, it is likely that the dish is not properly aligned.

Quote:
As an aside, why didn't you just ask the neighbour to put up with it? You've spent a lot of money having it moved, which you didn't have to do. As it's now costing you more, a polite discussion with him about fronting some of the cost of moving it might be a good idea. What was so unsightly about it in the first place? Every house up my street back home has a dish on the front of it pointing to the sky, and nobody's complained.
On this, I agree with the neighbour. Satellite dishes (even the 30 centimetre "mini" dishes used by Sky) are unsightly. They look ugly and IMO, Sky could do a *lot* more than they are to design a dish that blends in with it's surroundings.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 14:58   #5
Simplemeans
Inactive

Thanks guys.

I will get on the case and arrange ANOTHER firm to look at the dish....

..BTW, I have

---------- Post added at 14:58 ---------- Previous post was at 14:49 ----------

..one more question (sent last reply accidently).

I have Sky multiroom. Sky gave me 1 Sky+ HD box and 1 ordinary sky digital box.

I have 4 leads going to the dish, 2 of which feed into the living room and 2 go into the bedroom.

If I purchased a 2nd Sky+HD box, would I be able to get HD in both rooms, or would Sky charge me extra for that?