Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Need suggestions for wireless cable router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Need suggestions for wireless cable router

Old 10-04-2009, 02:11   #1
Praeceps
Inactive

Praeceps is an unknown quantity at this point
Need suggestions for wireless cable router

Hi there peeps, I havn't used a router before(never needed one) so I'll need suggestions on what to get.

I use virgin cable 20mb, at the moment I have my modem upstairs for my desktop pc, but now I need the internet for a pc downstairs too.

For the pc upstairs I'll have wired to the router, I sometimes use torrents so I need a router capable of doing that, downstairs pc would use wireless just using the internet normally.

Been thinking about getting the Netgear N WNR2000, what do you think? any suggestions?
Praeceps is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2009, 03:58   #2
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Re: Need suggestions for wireless cable router

Got one in the US, they're great. Not had any issues other than the Stateful Packet Inspection firewall interfered with my voip system there.
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 18:26   #3
KingDaveRa
Inactive

Services: Broadband Gamer, Phone M, Tivo V6.
KingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the rough

Linksys or Netgear, they're both pretty good. A lot of them come with automagic configurators these days too, so you just punch a few buttons and it sets up the encryption stuff for you. It's best to buy a Linksys router, AND Linksys WLAN card, or a Netgear router and Netgear WLAN card. You can mix them, but if you've never done it before, it's best to match them up, as the wizards and things they use can set it up for you. Indeed, a lot of places like Broadbandbuyer sell bundles of a router and card. If you've never done it before, buying all the same kit can save a few headaches.
KingDaveRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 17:53   #4
Quacker1964
Inactive

Quacker1964 is an unknown quantity at this point

My suggestion is to get someone who knows what they're doing to set it up for you lol.
Quacker1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 13:08   #5
Praeceps
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker1964 View Post
My suggestion is to get someone who knows what they're doing to set it up for you lol.
Oh I know what to do, just need some good names. :P
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll look on Broadbandbuyer and see if I can find anything.
Old 13-04-2009, 15:43   #6
Quacker1964
Inactive

Quacker1964 is an unknown quantity at this point

No offence meant mate - it was more a broad-side at my (in)capabilities

A lot of my mates pointed me toward Netgear as well so not sure if that's a good thing. I chose Belkin and though it took me forever to get right (my fault) it works well with Cable broadband.

Other people reckon they're much of a muchness!
Quacker1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 17:08   #7
Bennylaball
Inactive

Services: BWI (Bennylaball Wireless Internet), Freesat Humax thingy
Bennylaball is on a distinguished roadBennylaball is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Bennylaball

Use a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 along side with DD-WRT they have almost limitless capabilities well as much as a cisco pix anyways i have over 100 on my network and have only ever had to replace 1 power supply so i give them a thumbs up
Bennylaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 17:08   #8
xtopher
Inactive

xtopher is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had nothing but good experience with my DLink 635 N router.
xtopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 19:49   #9
Praeceps
Inactive

Ok I've ordered for a Linksys WRT160N N router and a Tenda Wireless-N USB Adaptor, from reviews one of them said they work together quite well, I'll message later probably for my results.
Old 14-04-2009, 13:33   #10
cripinuk
Inactive

cripinuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennylaball View Post
Use a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 along side with DD-WRT they have almost limitless capabilities well as much as a cisco pix anyways i have over 100 on my network and have only ever had to replace 1 power supply so i give them a thumbs up

Yep i agree...
cripinuk is offline   Reply With Quote