Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NO WIRELESS - Losing my tiny mind!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NO WIRELESS - Losing my tiny mind!

Old 09-04-2009, 12:18   #1
pigeon81
Inactive

pigeon81 is an unknown quantity at this point
NO WIRELESS - Losing my tiny mind!

Hi Guys,

I appear to be having some wireless issues.

A couple of weeks ago my wireless connection disappeared, it had been running fine for three years (this was on a linksys). However I could still get connection through an ethernet cable.

This led to me resetting the router settings – same problem persisted, no wireless but could still access via cable.

Out of frustration I bought a new router (Belkin).

Once again I set up the router, software says it is working and when I unplug there is still no network present.

FYI I have tested my laptops wireless connection elsewhere and it works fine. I have also searched for router with two other wireless devices (PSP and mobile) and no network present.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
pigeon81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2009, 12:23   #2
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: NO WIRELESS - Losing my tiny mind!

Is your wireless router broadcasting it's SSID?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:25   #3
pigeon81
Inactive

yes...
Old 09-04-2009, 12:36   #4
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

could there be something causing interference on the wireless side, that maybe effecting both routers, have you tried altering the wireless channel to see if it makes a difference.

You could try possibly relocating the router nearer to where your working as at the moment, given the ltd info, its hard to get a picture of your circumstances.

So where is your router in relation to the devices your trying to attach.

Have you turned of ssid broadcast on your router, maybe thats the reason your equipment cant find your router, but at the moment its difficult to diagnose but the chances of you having the same fault on 2 different routers suggest's that its not the router to me.

Good luck and I hope this helps, but if you draw a blank then try giving the router support guys a ring, they may well be able to help.

---------- Post added at 12:36 ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 ----------

Another thing I forgot to ask, has anything changed recently with your setup or anything else, prior to you having problems.

eg youve just moved your router, just bought a new TV stand, just bought a tin hat from the sally army.

I know it sounds silly but the point I,m getting at is, sometimes the last thing you changed could be the cause, eg just had a wireless alarm system fitted.
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:52   #5
pigeon81
Inactive

Thanks for your help - my laptop is located about two metres from the router.

No news equipment has been bought...no tin hats that I can think of (but the wife may have a secret stash).

I don't think it is the router either...as one day it was fine and the next it was gone.

Do virgin have the capability of cocking up your settings - i.e from the cable box in the street or from mumbai?
Old 09-04-2009, 13:06   #6
pabscars
Inactive

pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeon81 View Post
Thanks for your help - my laptop is located about two metres from the router.

No news equipment has been bought...no tin hats that I can think of (but the wife may have a secret stash).

I don't think it is the router either...as one day it was fine and the next it was gone.

Do virgin have the capability of cocking up your settings - i.e from the cable box in the street or from mumbai?
The fact that you can connect through ethernet and all is well suggest,s your ISP is working fine to me.

So what exactly happens when you search for a wireless network
Old 09-04-2009, 14:56   #7
pigeon81
Inactive

I cannot see my network - it is as if no wireless signal is being broadcast.

I can find all my neighbours networks though!! (unforutantely all secure)
Old 09-04-2009, 15:07   #8
Tightscot
Inactive

Tightscot has reached the bronze age
Tightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze age

things to try:
change the channel the wireless uses
change the wireless speed to b only / b/g / gonly etc etc (if the router allows it)
double check you're router is not hiding the ssid
temporarily set the wireless up with no security enabled - make sure you switch security back on afterwards.

try all these changes at the router end, and each time you've made a change, run a couple of scans to see if your machine picks up the wireless...

also, make sure when you're machine 'returns' the list of available networks that you scroll through the whole list of networks.... just in case it is picking up your ssid, but isn't displaying it in the view...
Tightscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 15:11   #9
pabscars
Inactive

Ok then can you give us the make and models of your routers, and how are you searching for the wireless network, is it through the vm software and windows network wizard.

Just a thought do you have energy saving light bulbs ???

Can you borrow a friends laptop to see if theirs can see your network
Old 09-04-2009, 15:24   #10
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeon81 View Post
I cannot see my network - it is as if no wireless signal is being broadcast.

I can find all my neighbours networks though!! (unforutantely all secure)
There is a very useful tool available free called 'Netstumbler'
This will scan for all networks withing range. If NS 'sees' the router it may indicate something in your network settings that is blocking the normal connection.

http://www.netstumbler.com/
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 18:56   #11
pigeon81
Inactive

Thanks to all

Tight Scot:

I have tried all your suggestions - unfortunately all changes have resulted in no change.

Pabscars:

I have used other devices and it still does not appear.

Dai Nasty:
Net stumbler does not find the network (assuming you just run the scan function)

The routers I have used are:
1. linksys wrt54gs
2.Belkin G Wireless Router (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...uct_Id=461137#)

Just to note these are cable routers for virgin media

p.s. no energy saving light bulbs
Old 10-04-2009, 20:07   #12
pigeon81
Inactive

JUST TO TELL YOU THAT PROBLEM IS NOW SOLVED - FOR SOME REASON MY CONNECTION IS ONLY WORKING ON CHANNEL 11 - not sure if anyone knows the reason why as I would still be interested to know.

thanks for all your help.
Old 12-04-2009, 00:22   #13
xtopher
Inactive

xtopher is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughters Tosh lappy lost her connection overnight. After weeks of frustration and a bit of ingenuity on her part we discovered that her wireless driver had been automatically 'updated' and on closer look at the settings ie Channel number found it wouldn't let us designate an alternative. We rolled back the driver and bingo it worked instantly; the channel was allowed to be changed by the router to the best one. If this isn't the answer it's a little more knowledge to put in your problem file! Hope this helps.
xtopher is offline   Reply With Quote