Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | A little confused

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

A little confused

Old 04-04-2009, 18:38   #1
Iceyunaleska
Inactive

Iceyunaleska is an unknown quantity at this point
Question A little confused

I'm having a problem making my wireless connection work.

I have a desktop PC which connects directly to the internet using a motorola cable modem, originally came from Telewest but now Virgin. It connects using a usb port from modem to desktop computer.

I went to a shop to buy a device to allow this connection to be wireless from the pc so that the Playstation 3 (gaming purposes) and my laptop could connect to it without cables. The person suggested Belkin Wireless G Plus Mimo Router (model no. F5D9230-4). However, I now do not recal telling him about the usb connection. I followed the intructions to set it up, i have had 3 problems at different times...

1. On the first few goes using the ethernet connections available (the modem also has an ehternet port) it said when it went to test the connection that the cables were not connected properly. I tried again.

2. This time I put all the cables back to their original positions. Then followed the instructions and it all went through, everything could connect to the internt and there were no problems. Then I mucked up the security settings, I really don't know how I managed it! So I had to reset it and start again.

3. I put all the cables according to the Belkin instructions and then started the set-up. It again came up with the message about connection. However, the ps3 and laptop were able to connect to the internet but now my pc cannot. I then put the wires back to thier original positions, but my pc would not connect to the internet. I do notunderstand it all, I called Virgin for some help and they failed miserably. So I connected all the cables for the router using ethernet and have just used the internet on my laptop and ps3.

Recently we also recieved an upgrade to our broadband from Virgin as we threatened to leave, we recieved 20m broadband. Only on 8m before. Will this change anything with the wireless? We need a good connection so that the ps3 does not drop out during multiplayer games.

Have I brought the right router? Would it be easier to get a new modem with ethernet ports and ask someone from Virgin to install it (if possible)? I would really appreciate some advice.

Thank you in advance
Iceyunaleska is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2009, 00:02   #2
Joxer
Inactive

Services: 20Mb BB, phone
Joxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Joxer
Re: A little confused

Sounds like you have your PC on USB and the router on Ethernet. you need to connect the PC to the router with an Ethernet cable.
Joxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:37   #3
GeoffW
Inactive

GeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about them

On the WAN set up, choose the option to clone your mac address.

The router is OK, the question is the modem. You say the modem has ethernet as well as USB, then you say you think it's easier to get a new one with ethernet? Just make sure the modem is connected to the router WAN connection with ethernet.
GeoffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 18:29   #4
KingDaveRa
Inactive

Services: Broadband Gamer, Phone M, Tivo V6.
KingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the rough

Do some places still use the locked MACs? I thought that went away. It certainly has around here. Rebooting my modem makes it pair up with a different MAC. Besides, having a MAC on both sides of the router could cause some 'issues'.

Then again, that's Layer 2, and as long as it isn't bridging, you should be OK - data would be traversing the router at Layer 3.

Still, if it doesn't lock to MACs, it might be best to reboot, and not clone.
KingDaveRa is offline   Reply With Quote