Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | LINKSYS Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

LINKSYS Router

Old 07-03-2009, 08:53   #1
Clarkvcr
Inactive

Clarkvcr is on a distinguished roadClarkvcr is on a distinguished road
LINKSYS Router

Hi,
I have a Linksys Wireless-G 2.4GHz router WRT54G model and it's stopped working. All the indicator lights are on but can't connect to internet. When I bypass it and go straight from modem to main computer everything is fine. Tried this a few times and does seem to be the routers not doing the business. Can I do anything or is it u/s. If so does anyone recommend a particular make or model. Had a belkin three year ago and it lasted a month!, this linksys is just under 3 year old.
Cheers.
Clarkvcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2009, 08:54   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: LINKSYS Router

Moved to Networking Forum
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:54   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Presumably you have tried doing a factory reset on the router?

I'd still recommend Linksys. My original WRT54GS must have lasted my 5+ years of continous use before I retired it late last year in favour of a WRT610N
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:16   #4
Clarkvcr
Inactive

Advice on factory reset thanks.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:43   #5
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Advice on factory reset thanks.
There will be a little hole on the back of the router somewhere,stick a pin or something in there for a few seconds to reset....with the power on.
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:18   #6
Clarkvcr
Inactive

Tried that but no result - router indicator lights are all on but nothing is happening.
Looks like a trip to pc world.
What's the difference between the Linksys wrt54G2UK and the wrt 160N?
Cheers
Old 07-03-2009, 12:25   #7
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Tried that but no result - router indicator lights are all on but nothing is happening.
Looks like a trip to pc world.
What's the difference between the Linksys wrt54G2UK and the wrt 160N?
Cheers
I wouldn`t be too hasty.Might be a dodgy cable or anything..
Can you actually log into the router when it`s connected.http://192.168.1.1
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:43   #8
Clarkvcr
Inactive

Not cables, I've tried other ones. What does this link do? http://192.168.1.1
Old 07-03-2009, 12:47   #9
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

did you read the manual at any stage? you'll find basic troubleshooting advice there faster than going to and fro in a forum. manual first - forum next step!

if you've lost it, you can download it here
Old 07-03-2009, 12:53   #10
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

sounds like a pc issue to me i'd try deleting that network connection on the pc and setting up another or at least make sure the pc is in discover mode
Old 07-03-2009, 13:35   #11
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
sounds like a pc issue to me i'd try deleting that network connection on the pc and setting up another or at least make sure the pc is in discover mode
i think he is using cables, and as the connection works when bypassing the router, I think it's likely to be the router.

is the router giving you an IP address?
Old 07-03-2009, 13:45   #12
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkvcr View Post
Not cables, I've tried other ones. What does this link do? http://192.168.1.1
That will take you to the routers config pages

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 14:11   #13
Clarkvcr
Inactive

Sorted! dug out the router box from attic, stuck the cd rom in and took it from there.
Followed instructions and it reconnected. Daughters laptop picking up also. Feel as if I didn't really do anything. Is there a catch because it seemed a lot easier than when I set up the router for the first time.
Thanks to all who replied.
Old 07-03-2009, 14:22   #14
idi banashapan
step on my trip

i guess my 'reading-the-manual' advice came in handy then!