Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 2 Routers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

2 Routers

Old 18-08-2008, 18:56   #16
hoggie
Inactive

Services: V+.XL tv & Bb
hoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nice
Re: 2 Routers

i have changed my set-up so there are no conflicts with ip's
first router has an ip range 192.168.1.1 to10
second router has the range 192.168.2.1 to 10.
if you don't need the wifi on the first router disable it and as above just use it as a switch with no firewall.
i only use the first router for games machines anyway.
hoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-08-2008, 14:47   #17
GrahamP
Inactive

GrahamP is an unknown quantity at this point

Popper

Many thanks for this. i've been away so have only just read this but it looks like a comprehensive answer.

i'll try it out tonight and post back cheers.

just as an aside: In my scenario, i'm only extending wireless within the same property, but what will virgin do to stop people networking like this over 2 or 3 premises and sharing the BB costs?
GrahamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 20:39   #18
mr_bo
Inactive

Services: V+ | o2 BB
mr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful one

I have been using 2 routers for nearly a year.

When I was using cable b/b, it initially was from the set top box and my network grew from there, when it changed to a cable modem I simply located the modem behind the tv so it picked up the cat5 and continued to the wan port of my Linksys which is another room and from there to the various pc's/xbox/wireless.

But when I changed to dsl it proved a problem as the master socket was in a different part of the house again to the cable modem and router.
The logical thing to do was to replace the cable modem with the dsl router and pick up the existing network which is what I did, just meant I had to run a cable from the master socket to behind the telly aswell as a phone line. I specifically wanted the router directly connected to the master socket as I bought a filtered face plate.

Anyway, the routing was solved by connecting the Linksys to the Sky router using lan ports, not wan and simply disabling dhcp on the Linksys so it is purely an access point and handles no routing, all done by the Sky router.
mr_bo is offline   Reply With Quote