Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router: D-Link vs Linksys

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Router: D-Link vs Linksys

Old 07-05-2008, 17:13   #1
Keggsy
Inactive

Keggsy is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Router: D-Link vs Linksys

I was in need of a new router, and I was wondering which people thought was the best one to buy - the Linksys Wireless-N Home Broadband Router WRT150N or the D-Link DIR-615 RangeBooster N 650. My current router is a D-Link DI-514 and it needs to be rebooted a lot, and I was told that the Linksys is a better buy. However the D-Link is giving a 10 year warranty on all the Wireless-N series, while the Linksys is a generic 1 year warranty.

What do people think?

Thanks for your time
Keggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2008, 19:24   #2
saabmania2

Services: VIP Pack
saabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to saabmania2
Re: Router: D-Link vs Linksys

hi,
I would go for the d-link all day long over the linksys but i wouldn't buy the dir-615 better to but the dir-635 or even better and more future proof is the dir-655
saabmania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 20:50   #3
Keggsy
Inactive

Keggsy is an unknown quantity at this point

SO what's the main difference between the DIR-615 and the DIR-635? Is the extended range?
Keggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 22:03   #4
saabmania2

saabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keggsy View Post
SO what's the main difference between the DIR-615 and the DIR-635? Is the extended range?
Yes you get much much better range also you get better upstream and downstream i've had the dir-635 and now have the dir-655 and they have both been excellent routers never dropped out the only reason i went upto the 655 was the 4 x 100/1000 ports on the back compared to the standard 10/100 ports but thats only as i have computers hardwired to it as well
Old 05-06-2008, 16:42   #5
karlywarly
Inactive

Services: Virgin BB 50Meg
karlywarly is an unknown quantity at this point

saabmania2 just out of curiosity does your internet seem to drop on wireless cards that are connected to your dir-655 router?

Actually its more like i get drop outs where im still connected on the network but sometimes im not able to access my network assisted storage and stream stuff or access the internet
karlywarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 16:54   #6
Tightscot
Inactive

Tightscot has reached the bronze age
Tightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze age

or you could get a wireless router with storage link - allowing you to plug a USB hard drive into the router, and use it as a NAS... Linkage
Tightscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 17:44   #7
saabmania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlywarly View Post
saabmania2 just out of curiosity does your internet seem to drop on wireless cards that are connected to your dir-655 router?

Actually its more like i get drop outs where im still connected on the network but sometimes im not able to access my network assisted storage and stream stuff or access the internet
Hi, i've had no problems at all, have you checked you've got all the right settings and security

---------- Post added at 17:44 ---------- Previous post was at 17:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightscot View Post
or you could get a wireless router with storage link - allowing you to plug a USB hard drive into the router, and use it as a NAS... Linkage
i've got a 500gb h/d plugged into the back of my dir-655 router via the usb 2.0 socket and it works fine so no need to worry there.
Old 05-06-2008, 19:53   #8
Tightscot
Inactive

Tightscot has reached the bronze age
Tightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabmania2 View Post

i've got a 500gb h/d plugged into the back of my dir-655 router via the usb 2.0 socket and it works fine so no need to worry there.
nice, didn't realise the 655 had that!
Tightscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 21:12   #9
karlywarly
Inactive

I thought the usb on the back of the dir-655 router was just for the windows connect feature?

Feel free to correct me if im wrong
Old 05-06-2008, 22:12   #10
saabmania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightscot View Post
nice, didn't realise the 655 had that!
i didn't either i was short of a usb socket on the back of my main pc and i remembered seeing one on the back of the router, so i just tried it and it was ok it doesn't say anything in the manual though

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 21:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlywarly View Post
I thought the usb on the back of the dir-655 router was just for the windows connect feature?

Feel free to correct me if im wrong
i don't know i'm a man i never read the instructions lol but it seems to work ok for my external drive well it's been ok for the last 6-7 weeks
Old 05-06-2008, 22:21   #11
karlywarly
Inactive

im going to have to try this then as this would be a great added feature for this model router