Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How can I prevent my housemate from accessing my wireless internet?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

How can I prevent my housemate from accessing my wireless internet?

Old 14-04-2008, 21:40   #16
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
Re: How can I prevent my housemate from accessing my wireless internet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder View Post
Umm it's a Netgear DG834G I'm guessing it's not possible on this model? If so, which would be a good router to purchase that does have it?
Wrt54GL + Tomato (it's a 3rd party firmware)

Tomato does Upstream and Downstream QOS
(Although the downstream is quite crude as the only way to do it is to drop packets till the other end reduces the rate they are sending at)
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-04-2008, 21:44   #17
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post

(Although the downstream is quite crude as the only way to do it is to drop packets till the other end reduces the rate they are sending at)
I've not used Tomato so can't comment, but DD-WRT is similar. I have mine to specifically block high volume traffic like newsgroups during peak hours. You could do something similar with your housemate - prevent him using downloading protocols like newsgroups and bittorrent during hours you specify leaving the other machines unaffected.

I've also seen reports of DD-WRT being used for chargeable hotspot setups - that's one way to get the money from your housemate
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 21:51   #18
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Shredder's DG834G is an ADSL modem/router.

WRT54GL is a cable router.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 22:01   #19
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Shredder's DG834G is an ADSL modem/router.

WRT54GL is a cable router.
Excuse me when I go jump off a cliff...

You are of course quite right, I'm just feeling particularly dopey today

Although I could point out that you could probably still use one although you'd basically have to plug both routers together and either Bridge the DG834 or if it doesn't support it DMZ the other router.

Is there a router than can run DD-WRT/Tomato and has an inbuilt DSL modem.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 22:08   #20
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

Quote:
Excuse me when I go jump off a cliff...

You are of course quite right, I'm just feeling particularly dopey today

Although I could point out that you could probably still use one although you'd basically have to plug both routers together and either Bridge the DG834 or if it doesn't support it DMZ the other router.

Is there a router than can run DD-WRT/Tomato and has an inbuilt DSL modem.
While I've not tried DD-WRT on a DSL router, this implies that it is now supported - you just need to find something from this rather large list.

I would upgrade the version I'm running (and have been for over 2 years now), but at the end of the day it does everything I need and more so why risk the router!
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 19:46   #21
kendizx9r
Inactive

kendizx9r is an unknown quantity at this point

i have just installed a wireless setup but it is usecure how do i make it secure
kendizx9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 20:01   #22
Losttheplot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendizx9r View Post
i have just installed a wireless setup but it is usecure how do i make it secure
Read the manual?

Whilst I'm here can anyone help me win the lottery?
Old 19-05-2008, 20:08   #23
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendizx9r View Post

there is an article here

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34141478-post1.html

which gives some info - as Losttheplot says, any extra detail you might need should be in your router manual
Old 19-05-2008, 20:25   #24
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Nice thread hijacking!