Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Can anyone recommend a router?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Can anyone recommend a router?

Old 10-02-2008, 15:48   #16
Church Mouse
Inactive

Church Mouse will become famous soon enoughChurch Mouse will become famous soon enoughChurch Mouse will become famous soon enough
Re: Can anyone recommend a router?

Ben B

Re your post on 20/01/08

Last week I went into my local (small) computer shop to enquire re connecting my laptop wirelessly to my desktop pc.
I told him I had Virgin, cable broadband.
I was advised to use the:-

Belkin Wireless 802.11N Bundle With Belkin ADSL Wireless N Router & Belkin Wireless 802.11N USB Adapter

The dealer told me that he had connected these to cable modem computers as easily as connecting to ADSL.

He said if there were problems to return the Belkin bundle to him.

I have, with the help of my daughter-in-law, set up my wireless connection easily.
I have kept my desktop wired, just through choice.

REGARDS

Church Mouse
Church Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2008, 17:31   #17
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

^ then surely its not an ADSL router if it works with cable but rather a cable/dsl router.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 00:00   #18
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church Mouse View Post
Belkin Wireless 802.11N Bundle With Belkin ADSL Wireless N Router & Belkin Wireless 802.11N USB Adapter
Yeh I think I am going to go for one of these kits, just comparing prices for them in various places. As said by dragon its probably a cable/dsl router if it works with Virgin.

~Ben B~
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:37   #19
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_b View Post
Yeh I think I am going to go for one of these kits, just comparing prices for them in various places. As said by dragon its probably a cable/dsl router if it works with Virgin.

~Ben B~
your going to buy some kit without confirming weather it infact even works with your chosen BB connection, thats brave or something else of you Ben.

you did at least do a quick problem search on the belkin 11n USB stick didnt you?, that would have shown that currently, the USB stick has some fault with its driver and so its probably better to get the PCi/PCMCIA/cardbus version rather than the USB version at this time.

what is the exact model No. of this Belkin Wireless 802.11N Bundle Church Mouses salesmens recomended, direct URL the PDF/html spec please.

like i already said in this very thread, you obviously didnt take the advice given, so good look to you getting a good throughput, or even managing to connect all your new kit and getting it working together.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:01   #20
Church Mouse
Inactive

Church Mouse will become famous soon enoughChurch Mouse will become famous soon enoughChurch Mouse will become famous soon enough

Hi

Exact model no. is FSD7230uk4

I took the advice of the salesman because I visit this shop regularly and purchase most of my pc requirements from them, they have always been excellent with support.
I was also told I could return the product if I had problems.

Anyway, I am satisfied with this product.

My desktop pc (XP) is wired and my laptop (Vista Home Premium) was wireless enabled when I bought it.

Regards

Church Mouse
Church Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:36   #21
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

You can use adsl routers with cable broadband but you will have issues with the way that they work. In a adsl router they are designed to connect to adsl broadband gain and ip and distribute it. On cable broadband it works in a similar way but you could have issues with port forwarding on certain routers.

I'd following the excellent advice from users here and go with the linksys. You could always get something like a dlink and add a larger antenna (such as a 6db one) You can also get larger antennas for your pc card which may do the job without the need to upgrade the router.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 14:08   #22
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Depends if its an ADSL router or a cable/dsl router.

If its an ADSL router it will have the ADSL modem built in and therefore likely be usless for cable (Unless it has a second WAN port, but I've only ever seen 1 router that had an Inbuilt ADSL2+ modem and a wan port for cable and it was £180)

If its a cable/dsl router then it will just have an ethernet Wan port and can be plugged into either an ADSL modem or a Cable modem, this is the type you need for virigin cable.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote