Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NetGear Cable Router Unable to obtain Dynamic IP address

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NetGear Cable Router Unable to obtain Dynamic IP address

Old 14-12-2007, 23:36   #1
doggysoft
Inactive

doggysoft is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy NetGear Cable Router Unable to obtain Dynamic IP address

NetGear RangeMax NEXT Wireless-N Router Model WNR834B bought refurbished therfore with out Set Up CD thus no serial number ( therefore limited help from Netgear ) Virgin Media technical help says the router maybe faulty ?

Problem:

Access to Broadband via newly installed Virgin Media 250 modem, to bypass Pace STB which is only 1MBPS this works fine but when the router is connected the Set Up Wizard on the router picks up a fixed IP connection which VM doesn't supply. When you you try to try to obtain the IP address dynamically this doesn't work either.

I have tried all the usual stuff, rebooting/sequence of powering up/upgrading the firmware of the router/doing a factory reset of the router /checked TCP/IP is set to dynamically obtain IP address/switched off Firewall etc all to no avail.

I appeciate that people do a 4 year degree in Networking but surely it can't be that difficult to set up a router to the internet. But I admit it has beaten me.
Any help would be most appreciated and I am sure would be useful to other novices like me.

Thanks in advance,

Rob
doggysoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-12-2007, 00:21   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: NetGear Cable Router Unable to obtain Dynamic IP address

to Cable Forum

It's worth trying a reset to factory settings and seeing if that makes a difference. Then make sure you have powered off modem, router and PC, before restarting modem, router and PC in that order, having let each settle down before powering the next.

If this doesn't work, I note you have a new modem connection instead of PC. I assume you have setup that modem connection and you are happy it works with a direct modem to PC connection? Did you use the virgin media disk to do this? If so did that disk affect any settings for your network connection on the PC, or Internet Explorer?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2007, 11:33   #3
doggysoft
Inactive

doggysoft is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: NetGear Cable Router Unable to obtain Dynamic IP address

Hi Rob,
Thanks for prompt reply, I have done everything in your first paragraph.
I used the virginmedia disk to set up the 250 Modem.
Possible changes after using disc?
The only thing I noticed was in the LAN ( Broadcom NetXtreme GigaBit Ethernet ) - properties - I have Microsoft TCP/IP version 6 and Internet protocol ( TCP/IP ) both ticked. On Microsoft TCP/IP V6 I can't access the properties dialogue box but I can on the Internet protocol ( TCP/IP ) and the Obtain IP & DNS are set to be obtained automatically.
Do you need the LAN status details ?
Hope this helps ,
Rob

---------- Post added at 11:33 ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 ----------

Hi Rob,

Checked IE version 7, properties - LAN - Connections - -LAN Settings - Automatic configuarations - Auto detect settings & Use automatic detection script boxes are not ticked. Address box empty when I tick above boxes then able to enter info.

This is how my PC is connected:
VirginMedia Cable access point ( wall socket ) - 2 way slitter ( EcoLine - fitted by VM ) - one cable goes to the modem , the other the cable input of STB. From modem to Router InternetPort - Router - via Local Ethernet Port to PC.

I found this website and this connection method is the opposite to the Netgear method.
I haven't used this software but you can see I was getting desperate !!!

http://www.networkmagic.com/nmlp/rou...FQxMQgodpyY7-g

Hope this helps in the prognosis...

Rob
doggysoft is offline   Reply With Quote