Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Multi AP wireless.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Multi AP wireless.

Old 05-12-2007, 21:45   #1
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
Multi AP wireless.

I hope I set this up right...

Went round a friends to do some work on their PC and noticed they had a long Extension cable going upstairs which was connected to their BThomehub.

then they had a powerline link going back downstairs for the Vision box.

Problem with that setup you could get a wi-fi signal upstairs but it was rubbish to non existent downstairs in the living room (fairly large house with solid walls).

I knew they used to usw a Dlink dsl-G604t wireless router.. so What I did was get them to move the homehub back downstairs (getting rid off the long extension cable) then wired it directly into the vision box... freeing up the powerline adaptors.

I then reconfigured the Dlink router to have the same SSID and encryption password as the Homehub and turned its DHCP server off.

I then connected (via the powerline adaptors) LAN port 1 on the Dlink to Lan port 2 on the homehub and placed the Dlink upstairs were the homehub was before.

I think thats right, I checked it with my laptop and although the AP's were on different channels (the HH is still on automatic) because the SSID and Encyption key was the same the laptop seemed quite happy to Hop between the 2 depending on which had the strongest signal.

Also now they are getting coverage where they didn't before..
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2007, 06:59   #2
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star
Re: Multi AP wireless.

Good job

I spent 3 attempts looking for a question in that post... Think i need to go to bed now.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:24   #3
janipewter
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Multiroom, VM XL Phone, VM XXL BB
janipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to janipewter

What the shit?

Are you even trying to ask a question? If you are, I couldn't find it lol.

PS. I covered an entire school with wireless AP's, there was nowhere on the site you could get less than 3 bars of signal.
janipewter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:46   #4
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

the question was 'I hope I set this up right...'

personally its better to put all your wireless routers/AP's as high in/on the building as you can to get the best coverage for the whole building/area.

assume all your kit has it onboard the firmware,its also common today to use WDS (Wireless Distribution System) to simply wirelessly connect your AP's together at the expense of a little loss of throughput.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireles...ibution_System

or for max throughput were your wireless APs/routers are within the 300foot range, just use a simple and cheap wired router/switch to connect the two or more wireless routers/APs together (assuming your useing the slower older wireless 11a/b/g/g+ kit that you put up high in the loft perhaps...

thats were your 3rd party firmware comes in handy as it may be possible to also Bond several wireless routers/APs together if the firmware has Bonding compiled into its core OS....

that really interests me, but iv not had the time to try it or even look to see if others have alreay worked out the procedure...

although this bonding (wired or wireless)is NOT for the no tech user, and it seems there doesnt exist a freeware windows driver/app to allow you to do it from that OS, shame.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 18:00   #5
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

I know about WDS however the 604 doesn't support it without flashing it with either the Acorp.RU or Routertech(Darkwolf) edition not to mention the fact that WDS cuts the total bandwidth available for each hop.

Considering I managed to re-use the kit he already had and therefore it cost Nothing, i'm quite happy with the end result

I have a 624 somewhere which is its bigger brother.

I actually find in my house its better to put the wi-fi AP on the ground floor gives better coverage seems the signal is more willing to go though the floor/ceiling than the walls
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote