Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Which Linksys router?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Which Linksys router?

Old 19-10-2007, 12:36   #1
Will73
Inactive

Will73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Which Linksys router?

I have 20Meg Virgin cable broadband and wish to beam it out wirelessly so a laptop can hook up to the connection.

Which wireless Linksys router should I go for as there seems to be a few variations of the same thing.

I'm thinking of the WRT54GS as they have it in my local PC world, however I notice Linksys also do a WRT54GL model? Anyone know what the difference is between these two?

To add to the confusion, PC World also do a WRT54GR model which is a few pounds more expensive and yet the spec seems to be not quite a good as the two mentioned above (e.g. 100M range as opposed to the others 300m).

Any advice appreciated (perhaps a different make altogether).

PS I'm buying from PC World as I can pick it up today/tomorrow, i know i could save a few pounds by buying from somewhere like ebuyer
Will73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-10-2007, 13:01   #2
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy
Re: Which Linksys router?

WRT54GL it's exactly the same as the v4 version of the WRT54G routers, thus it's using Linux and can use the 3rd party firmwares and has far more memory and firmware space.

WRT54GS has speedbooster on it but only of use if you have Linksys speedbooster wireless cards

Personally i have a WRT54GS (Version 1 i think) it works fine, never had any issues and i run the DD-WRT firmware on it as i use it to host a NAS drive which i can then VPN to.

If you run third party firmware you can increase the signal power and therefore increase the range
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 14:55   #3
Will73
Inactive

I'll just go for the GS in that case. Cheers, Fella.
Old 19-10-2007, 17:32   #4
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

The newer GSes don't have enough memory to run DD-WRT, the GL is probably the better in that respect. Third party firmwares allow you to put speedbooster on a GL anyway.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2007, 18:54   #5
Will73
Inactive

Hmm....so I shouldn't get a GS as it can't run DD-WRT?

The DD-WRT boosts the range as far as i'm aware so I would want to be able to run this. Does that rule the GS out then?
Old 21-10-2007, 20:57   #6
mmm
cf.geek

mmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about them

Definitely the WRT54GL - its the same hardware as a WRT54GS V4 AFAIK.
mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 14:54   #7
Will73
Inactive

WRT54GL purchased and in my possesion.

Now...should i bother with the install CD, or will it just auto-detect the settings? It's not going to ask for my Virgin/NTL password etc is it .....
Old 01-11-2007, 16:40   #8
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

You should be able to plug it in and find it works - make sure you power off modem and PC(s) while you set up ethernet.

Router settings can all be configured once connected up by browsing (internet explorere, Firefox, etc) using http://192.168.1.1 default password and login = admin which is worht changing. Configure wireless setups using the wired connection and then you'll be off and running.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:45   #9
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

the newer versions of the GS v7 upwards i dont think will run it, v5 and v6 can run dd-wrt firmware
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:15   #10
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy99 View Post
the newer versions of the GS v7 upwards i dont think will run it, v5 and v6 can run dd-wrt firmware
According to Wiki V7 should be able to
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:32   #11
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

i know when the v7 was initially released there was no firmware available for dd-wrt, the later models are only able to utilise the micro build of the firmware due to the crippled memory on them

seems that the newer ones can be flashed esier than the v6 aswell, gits lol
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote