Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VISTA and Networking

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

VISTA and Networking

Old 15-07-2007, 17:14   #1
meld51
Inactive

meld51 is on a distinguished roadmeld51 is on a distinguished road
VISTA and Networking

Hello,

I have recently upgraded my laptop to Windows Vista Home Premum. So far, everything works OK but for one thing...

The Explorer does not always find all the computers on my wireless network. I installed a dual boot system and found that I can see all my PCs when I boot into XP. This problem only occurs when I boot into VISTA.

Also, I run NETWORK MAGIC in Vista. This always shows all my PCs on the network map while at the same time Vista says that my PCs are not there. This is very troublesome because all the networking functions that I need won't work until Vista agrees that the networked PCs are there.

Does anyone have any ideas why this happens? Does anyone else have this problem?
meld51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-07-2007, 18:19   #2
zing_deleted

Re: VISTA and Networking

guide here http://www.kelsoconsultinggroup.com/...sta_and_xp.asp

There is a file on the M$ site to make xp pcs show on the map correctly
Old 15-07-2007, 20:59   #3
cybernetic_tiger
Inactive

cybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
There is a file on the M$ site to make xp pcs show on the map correctly
The file that Zing is talking about is the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder (KB922120). This needs to be installed on each Win XP machine to allow them to be seen in the Vista network topology diagram.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

I don't think this will make much difference with file sharing though. Can you see the other PC's files when you try to browse them via the IP address (i.e. \\192.168.1.10\ )?

Also Vista (by default) uses a different 'workgroup' this may cause your problems, try checking that they are the same on all PC's (Vista default is WORKGROUP whereas Win XP uses MSHOME)

Hope this helps...
cybernetic_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 10:15   #4
ToGoogle
Inactive

ToGoogle is an unknown quantity at this point

I had same problem, pulled my hair out for ages, and the problem was as simple as the the network name, as said above the vista defaults to workgroup.

I simply changed my xp to workgroup and everything was sorted.

You think MS would have anticipated this and maybe chnaged the default, or maybe they just wanted to up the call count to their premium support numbers.

Thank god for forums like this :P
ToGoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 10:18   #5
zing_deleted

If you install xp pro the default workgroup name is workgroup. its only mshome if networking is setup from inside windows using the network creation wizard
Old 16-07-2007, 13:15   #6
meld51
Inactive

Thanks people!
I'll check all this out and report back...
Old 17-07-2007, 06:13   #7
meld51
Inactive

Installing the LLTD responder seems to work and it also populates the network map as a bonus.

I wonder why MS didn't put this into one of their endless update packages for XP?

Thanks