Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Another Belkin with NTL issue

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Another Belkin with NTL issue

Old 03-04-2006, 01:13   #1
MartinD
Inactive

MartinD is an unknown quantity at this point
Another Belkin with NTL issue

I have had a read through all these posts and am getting more concearned.

For the past week or two I have been having huge problems with sustaining connections to ntl. I had an old 4 port belkin, can't remember exact model, but basicaly this was crashing out and I couldn't even ping the router. So suspecting the router was having issues I went and got a new router, a belkin F5D5231-4.

It connects fine and I seem to get a decent speed when it runs, however when I do anything which requires sustained connections (eg streaming media, teamspeak, online games etc) I get disconnected after a variable, but short amount of time. (10-15 minutes). I can reconnect agains traight away and when I check the belkin logs I see

2006/04/02 23:57:48 DHCP Client : Send Discover
2006/04/02 23:57:50 DHCP Client : Send Request, Request IP = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
2006/04/02 23:57:51 DHCP Client : Receive Ack, IP = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, Lease time = 136891

(note: I x'd out the ips myself)

I see an entry for this everytime it disconnects. The modem seems fine and I dont think that is actualy droping the external connection, and the internet connection seems ok when directly connected to a pc, however this hasn't been thoroughly tested. Certainly things like the signal levels on the modem appear fine.

With the new modem in, I am constantly able to ping the internal interface and this doesn't drop like the original router,

One interesting thing I saw around the time that this started was an entry on the ntl network status page saying they were doing planed maintenance on various exchanges including the one which I connect to complete "Network optimisation"

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated
MartinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2006, 19:29   #2
Siuko
Inactive

Siuko is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Another Belkin with NTL issue

I will mirror that post exactly...

Same router - exactly the same issues... exactly at the same time frame!!

Either its the worlds biggest coincidence or NTL have changed something that affects routers connected to their cable modems!!

Please can someone who knows about these things in NTL go take a look..

Ta very much....
Siuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 20:20   #3
MartinD
Inactive

MartinD is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to add a few bits...

first typo correction to avoid any confusion. when I sadi "With the new modem in" I meant router not modem (DOH)

I have also tried reseting the router and updating firmware, I have tried other connection types on the router (eg static and adding the IP I had picked up) all of which have failed to make any difference. I have tried replacing cables, I'm at a loss now for anything that could be wrong my end.

If we could get someone from ntl to investigate, if you need to talk to a knowledgable end user feel free to pm me for contact details. I am a network engineer for an ISP myself (not NTL obviously) so should be able to answer most questions you might have. I also have logs of disconection times if required and should be capable of running any tests you need.

I think with the number of cases I have seen reported even just here, it is likely this is a fault on NTLs side, so for anyone else experiencing these problems, please just make a note here and dont go wasting your time and mony buying new routers like I have so far. Also, if anyone has this issue and manages to fix it please provide details, I'm sure there are quite a few of us who would be grateful.
MartinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 21:33   #4
billy2002
Inactive

billy2002 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Sorry to bring his back this after 10 months, but I am having the same issue. Same router, same connection issues as described.

Did anything solve the issue for either of you?
billy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 20:59   #5
XiceWolf
cf.mega poster

XiceWolf is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy2002 View Post
Hi,

Sorry to bring his back this after 10 months, but I am having the same issue. Same router, same connection issues as described.

Did anything solve the issue for either of you?
Ditto
XiceWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 23:10   #6
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

actually i've read on another forum someone complaining of simular problems when they upload stuff.

I'm sending them a link to this post.

Edit

just found out they are on telewest
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 23:31   #7
darksora
Inactive

darksora is an unknown quantity at this point

@dragon: thanks ^_^

Ive had this problem for around 2 months now (aprox). When i try to upload something like an image or a large file using sites like mediafire, megaupload, imageshack etc it will disconnect me only from the web, so i can still use online games, instant messagers etc. I just cant access the internet.

This problem is easily stopped by turning my modem off for about 5-60 mins. Lets just say i have a 30% chance of uploading a file successfully without the connection going wrong.

Im using the Belkin F5D5231-4 with telewest/blueyonder broadband.
darksora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007, 07:39   #8
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

actually thats simlular symptoms to what my dads belkin preN router would do...

I found specifying a proxy sorted that however am i right in thinking telewest don't use proxy caches?

He has a different router now as that belkin one got cooked by a lightning storm, no problems with the netgear he now has.

Sounds very much like certian belkin routers don't much like NTL/TW
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote