Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cisco IP Phones

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cisco IP Phones

Old 31-12-2006, 03:16   #1
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age
Cisco IP Phones

We are with PlusNet for ADSL and they provide a SIP serivce and was wondering if I got a Cisco IP phone from eBay weather I would be able to configure if for this serivce?

I have seen other IP phones that can be configured to work with which ever SIP provider you choose but was wondering about the Cisco phones.

I dont want this to turn into a argument about this ones better than that one (I mean companies), I'm currently with Vonage but my parents have asked me to look at this as they pay for this connection.

Just after an answer yes or no or if its just certain models.

Cheers
Old 31-12-2006, 03:49   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: Cisco IP Phones

If the service is a true SIP service and the phone is configurable to PlusNet's servers then I cannot see a reason why it SHOULDNT work, I say this without prejudice however
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2006, 11:34   #3
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

Cheers for this, I will do a bit more reading into Cisco's site and see if I can find anything on there.

I would of thought it should be configurable.
Old 02-01-2007, 19:15   #4
EssDee
cf.addict

Services: VIP120 with TiVo
EssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really nice

I think you would need a Cisco phone with SIP firmware loaded onto it (which is normally uploaded directly from Call Manager). This firmware though is available from Cisco's website, but only with CCO access.

Apparently Vonage used to allow this kind of configuration, but I don't know about PlusNet.

Cheers
EssDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 20:17   #5
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Cheers for that EssDee, my plans have sort of gone out the window now due to lack of cash but I will be looking at it again later on in the year.
Old 08-01-2007, 17:22   #6
MagicMan
Inactive

MagicMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssDee View Post
I think you would need a Cisco phone with SIP firmware loaded onto it (which is normally uploaded directly from Call Manager). This firmware though is available from Cisco's website, but only with CCO access.
It may be possible to find a Cisco IP phone on ebay with the SIP firmware already loaded. I bought a few 7961's for a LAB test before a roll-out and a few of them had SIP firmware on.
MagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote