Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cannot print to shared printer

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cannot print to shared printer

Old 28-09-2006, 20:59   #1
Anastasis
Inactive

Anastasis is an unknown quantity at this point
Cannot print to shared printer

I have a printer connected to my main PC via USB. This printer is shared over my wireless network.

I have had problems sometimes printing from my laptop to this printer, an error occurring saying the printer cannot be found. But at other times it does print.

I think I have narrowed this down to not having the printer turned on when initially trying to print to the printer. Of course, in that situation you would expect the printer to "not be found".

However, after the printer is then turned on, the "printer cannot be found" message still appears. The only way for the laptop to "find" the printer is to reboot the laptop, ensure the printer is turned on and then print.

It would seem logical that when trying to print a second time after the printer has been turned on after initially forgetting to turn it on, that XP should look again to find the printer, but it doesn't. It seems to take the attitude that as the printer couldn't be found the first time, it won't be there at all.

Is there anyway, in this situation if forgetting to first turn on the printer that I can force XP to re-find the printer or is a reboot of the laptop the only fix?

Or maybe I have something else which isn't configured correctly.

As always, any help with this would be much appreciated.
Anastasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-09-2006, 21:12   #2
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star
Re: Cannot print to shared printer

You could try a repair on the wireless connection on the laptop, maybe this will trick it into thiking it's got to look again?
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 22:15   #3
opelfruitcase
Inactive

opelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druchii View Post
You could try a repair on the wireless connection on the laptop, maybe this will trick it into thiking it's got to look again?
Or alternatively if that doesn't work, try the following:

On the machine with the printer connected:
net stop server
net start server

If that doesn't sort it out, instead try on the other machine:
net stop workstation
net start workstation

You need to type these lines in from a command prompt. Doesn't sound like its a problem with the actual TCP/IP connection you see but rather with LanMan/Samba/CIFS file and printer sharing that windows uses - in which case this will reset that facility instead.

HTH
opelfruitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 00:11   #4
Anastasis
Inactive

Anastasis is an unknown quantity at this point

Druchii / opelfruitcase

Many thanks for your help on this. I decided to try the net stop workstation option as I thought doing it on the wireless laptop where I was printing away from the main PC would be easier than resetting the connection on the "server".

Anyway, it worked a treat and I have now written a little batch file as below which I have saved in the All Users section of the Start Menu to run if this crops up.

Thanks goodness for command lines!

-------------------------------------------------------------
@echo off
echo Resetting the laptop's network connection, please wait...
net stop workstation
net start workstation
echo The Network connection has been reset.
pause
-------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks again for your excellent help.
Anastasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 09:30   #5
opelfruitcase
Inactive

opelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to be of assistance
opelfruitcase is offline   Reply With Quote