Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Adding a wireless printer

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Windows ME and wireless problem,

Old 14-09-2011, 18:34   #1
frenchscottie
Inactive

frenchscottie is an unknown quantity at this point
Windows ME and wireless problem,

My friend has a very old PC. It's a Emachines 600GH, 32MB of ram 10GB hard disk and Windows ME. (It actually had the specs on the front of the case. Well I suppose it was good it it's time.)
Right it has a modem for internet. But he wants to connect it to his wireless router. I gave him some old ram - 256mb, and an old wireless card - managed to find a xp driver for it. But how do I get it to use the wireless card and not use the dial up when trying to connect to internet.
Thanks in advance.
frenchscottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-09-2011, 19:22   #2
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: Windows ME and wireless problem,

has the adapter got its own software? as far as I know you wont be able to use microsofts wireless program in ME. your friend needs an adapter that supports ME. tell your friend to buy a new machine, he can pick up a cheap XP machine now.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 19:26   #3
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

I doubt a XP driver will work on ME...

Millennium Edition still gives me the shudders....what a piece of do do!!
Old 14-09-2011, 23:56   #4
frenchscottie
Inactive

I don't have any software for the wireless card.
The driver seemed to install and the card found it etc.

I could always put XP on it, I think I have an old one lying around.
And stick a dongle in.

Thanks Guys
Old 15-09-2011, 08:02   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Win2k would be a better option as XP will be so slow.. or get puppy linux on it
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 14:19   #6
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

can't you buy a new pc? a standard xp machine now days are pretty cheap and if you add a little more you can get hold of a nice kitted xp machine designed to handle multiple programs etc. if you consider it and have a budget let us know, i'm sure we'll be able to find you one.
Old 15-09-2011, 18:09   #7
frenchscottie
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
can't you buy a new pc? a standard xp machine now days are pretty cheap and if you add a little more you can get hold of a nice kitted xp machine designed to handle multiple programs etc. if you consider it and have a budget let us know, i'm sure we'll be able to find you one.
It's not for me it's a friend. But if he want's i'll be able to get or build anything he want's. I'll see him tomorrow.

Thanks
Old 15-09-2011, 18:11   #8
thenry
Inactive

probably the best route to go down, good luck.
Old 17-09-2011, 14:55   #9
frenchscottie
Inactive

Turns out he had another pc with XP on it. So installed Wireless dongle, although his ports are only USB 1, it still works but slower.

Thanks all for the coments etc.