Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will a "better" homeplug help me?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Exchange

Old 09-04-2010, 14:13   #1
cnewton2k
Inactive

Services: 100 Meg + Phone
cnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to cnewton2k
Exchange

Hi,

I am a bit stumped lol I am trying to setup up SBS2008 with Exchange, I am doing this at home to replace my WHS. Now the problem I have is that webhost (Streamline) don’t allow me to change my MX record to point to my VM IP. Does anyone know how I can get around this?

Cheers!
cnewton2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2010, 14:22   #2
gordonuk
Inactive

gordonuk is on a distinguished roadgordonuk is on a distinguished road
Re: Exchange

Use a host that will allow dynamic ip. I run exchange 2010 on a vm connection with dynamic ip. I use dnsmadeasy to modify my mx records and use a smarthost to send the outbound, as you can't send out from a dynamic IP.

Streamline probably don't allow dynamic ip's for mail servers, as they are likely to change. You need a dynamic host such as the one mentioned above. Your mx records would then be updated automatically if vm changed the ip.
gordonuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 14:36   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

You wont be able to point an MX record direct to an IP address. Very few systems would accept that as it breaks protocols.

You need to set a domain or subdomain with the A record for that subdomain matching the IP address of your server. Your MX record then lists the domain / subdomain for the server:
i.e. MX record = mail.mywebsite.co.uk
A record for mail.mywebsite.co.uk = IP.IP.IP.IP

Of course if your Virgin Media IP is dynamic, you could have difficulty tracking it if it changes.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 14:39   #4
gordonuk
Inactive

gordonuk is on a distinguished roadgordonuk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Of course if your Virgin Media IP is dynamic, you could have difficulty tracking it if it changes.
So using a dynamic host would be advisable.
gordonuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 14:57   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Or you could use something like DYNDNS and get either a compatible router (or update program) to alter the IP if it changes
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 15:14   #6
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Yes. I've used no-IP with some success in the past.

http://www.no-ip.com/
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 19:28   #7
thebluenose
Inactive

thebluenose is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you need to have port 25 open on the router for exchange ??

Been tempted to set this up at home.
thebluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 19:39   #8
cnewton2k
Inactive

cnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
You wont be able to point an MX record direct to an IP address. Very few systems would accept that as it breaks protocols.

You need to set a domain or subdomain with the A record for that subdomain matching the IP address of your server. Your MX record then lists the domain / subdomain for the server:
i.e. MX record = mail.mywebsite.co.uk
A record for mail.mywebsite.co.uk = IP.IP.IP.IP

I currently use dydnsuser.homeip.net from dydns.

What i dont understand is if streamline dont allow me to change my MX record how can i get the incoming mail to me!

At present it is mailserver.xxxxxxx.co.uk and i know the IP address.
Old 09-04-2010, 19:46   #9
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnewton2k View Post
I currently use dydnsuser.homeip.net from dydns.

What i dont understand is if streamline dont allow me to change my MX record how can i get the incoming mail to me!

At present it is mailserver.xxxxxxx.co.uk and i know the IP address.
All I can suggest is if you can't change the MX record, and they won't change it for you, you need to change your webhost to a proper one. I would expect that your MX needs to be something similar to your dydns addy. (I've edited that to stop you getting unwanted hits from internet idiots )
Old 09-04-2010, 21:53   #10
cnewton2k
Inactive

Quote:
All I can suggest is if you can't change the MX record, and they won't change it for you, you need to change your webhost to a proper one. I would expect that your MX needs to be something similar to your dydns addy. (I've edited that to stop you getting unwanted hits from internet idiots )
I was hoping you werent going to say that!

I think i best do some reading up!

Cheers

---------- Post added at 21:53 ---------- Previous post was at 21:39 ----------

Am i right in thinking thats.....

If i move the DNS server's to someones else for example dnsmadeasy i can web requests to my website hosing and then the MX to my dydns?
Old 09-04-2010, 23:08   #11
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

As has been said, if your router is compatible, you can get away with using something like a dyndns.org dynamic domain name.
Otherwise register your own domain.
I did the latter through www.discountdomainsuk.com, then get a dynamic dns service and update your name server records to be those of your ddns service (so you'll need to register your domain with a company that gives you full control over it).
I set up my active directory to be the same as my registered domain. This helps with accessing anything internally and externally which uses the same certificate etc.
Just remember, if you run any external services such as websites, you'll need to add them to your SBS DNS server.
I use easydns.com for my ddns service as anything .domain.co.uk gets directed to my current IP which means I can run several services.
I can also add static entries such as a website hosted by an external company.
With them you need a ddns client, this checks your current IP and updates your ddns service provider.
You'll need a smart host service too, I use authsmtp. Set your exchange server to forward emails to the smart host, and it will be sent on your behalf without the recipient knowing. This gets around the problem of recipient mail servers detecting that you're sending from a home address and blocking the mail incase it's spam. It also allows me to get around the port 25 outbound block that my ISP sensibly has in place as authsmtp can handle connections on another port.
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:29   #12
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

It is recommended that you use a format of mydomain.local for your active directory type stuff, i.e. the LAN side configurations. You then use the same mydomain.com (or whatever internet addy .co.uk, etc) for the internet side of things. At least that is how every text book, and website guide that I have seen for Small Business Server indicate things should be set up.

---------- Post added at 01:29 ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 ----------

One of the best websites for everything Small Business Server: www.smallbizserver.net
Old 10-04-2010, 08:34   #13
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Remember that MX is effectively a CNAME and not an A record so you can specify any other FQDN as an MX record.. The only time you can specify it as a seperate IP is by setting up your mailserver.*******.*** as an A record in conjunction with the MX record.. I think that Rob's already mentioned this
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 21:11   #14
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
It is recommended that you use a format of mydomain.local for your active directory type stuff, i.e. the LAN side configurations. You then use the same mydomain.com (or whatever internet addy .co.uk, etc) for the internet side of things. At least that is how every text book, and website guide that I have seen for Small Business Server indicate things should be set up
That was the case when W2K came out, but the benefits of using the same domain name made themselves more apparent, especially as people started to understand how DNS actually works. Remember the days when people thought if you set your AD domain to company.com then your DNS server will start servicing requests for external users, or you won't be able to access your externally hosted website etc etc.
All poppycok through.
You can automatically log in using your email address, very handy for users especially with OWA. How many times have calls be logged with service desks because a user can't log in after an admin has logged in using a local admin account because the domain name is wrong. Using email addresses as usernames removes this problem.

Course back then you still had a lot of sites/books telling you that your C: had to be 4GB (NT4's setup restriction due to vFAT), and then 10GB.
Look at how many problems that advice has caused.
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 20:16   #15
cnewton2k
Inactive

thansk everyone for ya help with this i think i am starting to get my head around things!!!