Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | V+ to pc

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Obtaining Routers IP

Old 11-03-2013, 20:59   #1
funkyCable
THE FUNKIEST ON THE BOARD

Services: SERVICES FROM 26/08/05 TV XL services 2MB BROADBRAND UNLIMITED TALK PACKAGE V+ Service (Since 18
funkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nice
Obtaining Routers IP

Hi,
I have two routers, One of them being the Virgin Media Super Hub and another 6 year old wifi router. Now I know the IP address of the SH and have setup its DCHP server for my network. One my old router (which is wired in to the SH) has its DCHP server switched off.

Unfortunately I have forgotten what the IP address was to access the older routers setup pages. I've looked under SH but it doesn't list the device it does however list the devices which are connected via the old router. Any ideas how I could get the IP address of the old router?
funkyCable is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2013, 21:24   #2
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Obtaining Routers IP

it should be a combination of 192.168.x.y

x.y could be 0.0, 0.1, 1.0, 1.1

But if its connected to a superhub look at that to see connected devices.

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 21:31   #3
funkyCable

Services: SERVICES FROM 26/08/05 TV XL services 2MB BROADBRAND UNLIMITED TALK PACKAGE V+ Service (Since 18
funkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nice

I know my SH IP is 192.168.0.1. I've logged to the SH settings and viewed the Device Connection Status on the site.

The old router is not listed under the "Wired connection" but under the Wireless connections I can see a device which is connected to a wifi connection that is broadcasted from the old router.
Old 11-03-2013, 21:42   #4
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Try pinging 192.168.x.x addresses which are not listed as being connected. You may hit it. Not very technical I know...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 22:57   #5
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

so the 2nd routers MAC doesn't appear in wired devices (SH interface) ?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 23:00   #6
tizmeinnit

ipconfig /all will give you second wired router as default gateway(in command prompt)
Old 12-03-2013, 07:22   #7
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

Can you not reset the old router to defaults using the regular 'reset button', run a wire from you machine to it to get the DHCP address, then 'ipconfig /all' to find the gateway address, which will be the router? Obviously, make sure your machine is not connected to the SH at the same time!!
Old 12-03-2013, 09:03   #8
funkyCable

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
ipconfig /all will give you second wired router as default gateway(in command prompt)
SorryI forgot to mention that I do not ahve any machines wired to the old wifi router. I did try ipconfig /all from one machine that is connected to to it via wifi. THe default gateway and DHCP are both pointing to the SH.

---------- Post added at 08:26 ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan View Post
Can you not reset the old router to defaults using the regular 'reset button', run a wire from you machine to it to get the DHCP address, then 'ipconfig /all' to find the gateway address, which will be the router? Obviously, make sure your machine is not connected to the SH at the same time!!
I was kind of hoping not to reset it else I would need to setup all the wifi connections on it. Like I have locked it down to only allow specific devices to connect to it via wifi.

---------- Post added at 09:03 ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan View Post
I was kind of hoping not to reset it else I would need to setup all the wifi connections on it. Like I have locked it down to only allow specific devices to connect to it via wifi.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:24   #9
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Try an arp -a -v on one of the hosts which are supposed to be connected via your old router and see if the address is in that machine's cache.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:37   #10
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Tried .254, that is quite a common one to use?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 14:52   #11
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
Try pinging 192.168.x.x addresses which are not listed as being connected. You may hit it. Not very technical I know...
Will only work if the router you are trying to ping is on the same subnet as your computer. Otherwise it will disappear into the ether and never reach anything.

Depending on how dumb it is, pinging 192.168.1.255 or 255.255.255.255 might get you an ARP response.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 17:12   #12
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era

This is small script I wrote to see what's connected to my system at any time. Copy the text into a pinger.bat file and run as the echo command suggests.
Put the .bat file into the C:\ directory, open a cmd box and use.
I find it useful to see if any of my fixed IP devices have shut down or stopped. i.e. My SB radios, cameras that are all fixed IP. Laptop, phone and tablet that aren't.
Enjoy!

@echo off
echo Use as "Pinger 192 168 1 10 20 to see attached devices between 192.168.1.10 & 192.168.1.20
SET t=%4
:start
ping -n 1 -l 1 -w 200 %1.%2.%3.%t% >nul
if %errorlevel%==0 echo Host %1.%2.%3.%t% RESPONDED
if %errorlevel%==1 echo Host %1.%2.%3.%t% IGNORED
SET /a t=t+1
If %t%==%5 Goto End
if %t%==254 Goto End
Goto start:
:End
echo COMPLETE
Pause