Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linksys router woes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless Cable Router & Gigabit LAN recommendations

Old 29-08-2008, 09:46   #1
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Wireless Cable Router & Gigabit LAN recommendations

It looks like the next generation of routers are now of the "n" standard for wireless, but will also offer gigabit speed wired ports for the LAN. This makes sense as good specification motherboards for computers have, for some years now, included 10/100/1000 network ports.

They are perhaps still a bit pricey, but does anyone have any recommendations?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-08-2008, 10:05   #2
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
Re: Wireless Cable Router & Gigabit LAN recommendations

how much you willing to fork out Rob?

this perhaps? http://www.ebuyer.com/product/128049
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 10:12   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Budget is less critical than reliability.

For some reason I don't seem to get on well with Netgear routers, they have never behaved for me. I did have a D-link wired only router before moving to my current Linksys WRT54GS. That D-Link had compatibility issues with the old Set Top Box based broadband. The Linksys has been OK, but only after I put third party firmware on it.

I need something that allows me to reliably VPN to my office, and can also handle torrent traffic, whilst providing a robust configurable firewall. What the specifications say the thing can do, and what it actually can do are frequently different things with technology. Thus I'd like input from anyone who actually is using one of these routers.
Old 29-08-2008, 10:34   #4
DocDutch
argh

DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/129218 then perhaps mate?

---------- Post added at 10:34 ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 ----------

I'm also looking for a nice gigabit router... so would be interested in what you get
Old 29-08-2008, 11:16   #5
cnewton2k
Inactive

Services: 100 Meg + Phone
cnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to cnewton2k

I have this one

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/128049

Fantastic works perfectly
cnewton2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 12:06   #6
OldGeezer
Inactive

OldGeezer will become famous soon enoughOldGeezer will become famous soon enoughOldGeezer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solventcandy View Post
I have this one

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/128049

Fantastic works perfectly
I've also been using the D-Link DIR-655 for a while now, although only in "g" mode.
Not had any issues.
OldGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 18:17   #7
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

to give this thread a little and by way of update, I ended up with the Linksys WRT610N. 4Gigabit capable LAN ports, Dual N band wireless and a link for the USB storage drive (would do a memory card or USB hard drive - not a printer though).

Setup was easy - ignored any of the disks, though only thing that took a bit of guessing was the router administrator name and password to login initially i.e. admin and admin. I've had it a week now and it's been rock solid, yet there has been a lot of torrent upload traffic through it, as well as my VPN into the office and such like. I suppose it is a bit on the pricey side, but then my last router did me for 5 years or so, so over that timescale the cost isn't an issue.

The real test will be the hammering it gets at a LAN party in a couple of weeks
Old 06-10-2008, 20:16   #8
DocDutch
argh

hammering or just pure abuse matey would like to know how it performs as my router is becoming a bit unstable especially with putty and vpn where after a bit of work i have to restart it as the security log is full
Old 06-10-2008, 21:05   #9
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

I have yet to need to reboot it. The torrent uploads a frequently maxxing out on 20meg. I've VPN'd out to the office server and all sorts with no issues apparent yet.
Old 06-10-2008, 21:36   #10
DocDutch
argh

ahh so you got the unit that I recommended you then
Old 06-10-2008, 22:51   #11
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

As a slight diversion from the original topic, has anyone got any recommendations for a gigabit switch rather than router? Wireless and routing wise I'm happy with the WRT54G as the link between home and the outside world, but am considering upgrading the LAN itself to gigabit level.
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 22:55   #12
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

How many ports are you looking at. Do you just need a switch, or do you need it to be more complex than that i.e. managed?
Old 06-10-2008, 23:43   #13
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

Minimum of 4, but 8 would be ideal.

I don't think I'm after anything fancy - just something that can do basic switching/local routing. I'm perfectly happy with the WRT54G and Tomato handling everything else like wireless and NAT handling for the internet.
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 00:42   #14
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

Having just had a LAN party I can update this thread with a little.

The network layout was:
cable modem
<wired>
router
<wired>
switch #1 or switch #2
<wired>
13 PCs (mix of 100/1000 ethernet ports), laptops and Network Access Hard Drive.
plus wireless laptops!

The router was the Linksys WRT610N. Gigabit switches were Netgear GS608UK (8 port). Ethernet cable was was ever leads we had lying around of various 1, 2, 5 10 and 20m lengths.

From a user perception, the network, and thus router and switches performed well. It was setup and ran from around 6pm on Friday evening until Lunchtime Sunday. No network components needed rebooting, even the Virgin Media Modem.

We didn't have any means of monitoring traffic, but both internet downloads were at high levels as a number of PCs were rebuilt and thus needed full patches and even service packs in addition to general browsing and stuff. Within the network itself, the amount of data shifted between PCs was immense due to file sharing (you can draw your conclusions as to what). The router was responsible for IPs to all PCs thus was critical to the network. Our only difficulty was probably related to the speed of wired connections to PCs often being detected as 100 rather than 1000, but this was probably due to cable quality since a swap (without rebooting) often saw a correction.

Overall I must rate both the router and switches as being solid pieces of kit.