Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ampersand and question mark etc buttons

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

SSD confusion

Old 11-04-2023, 16:18   #1
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
SSD confusion

2TB Samsung 870 Evo 2.5" Sata SSD

Media files and Game isos stored on it. Decided to move it around and the drive kept failing to read random file and event viewer shows it as Disk has Bad Block. Tried to run chkdsk *:/r and it stalled and could not scan

Moved what I could and deleted what was failing. Went into disk management deleted the partition and recreated and run chkdsk *:/r and this time it scanned with no errors or bad blocks found

Do you think it was just a corrupted file system or something else? not sure if I can trust the disk now

---------- Post added at 16:18 ---------- Previous post was at 15:55 ----------

It will write to it but not read from it

Tried different cable and port. Seems strange chkdsk can not find any issues
Old 11-04-2023, 16:38   #2
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
Re: SSD confusion

Seems to be a bit of a strange problem that, usually it's the other way round, it'll read but not write. Could try the power cycle fix? Is there a firmware update for the drive? See what the drive software says about it's health. Other than that, no idea sorry.

Last edited by peanut; 11-04-2023 at 16:41.
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 18:16   #3
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

I will check the firmware in a bit. Good call. But I do think it is dead

---------- Post added at 18:16 ---------- Previous post was at 16:52 ----------

Samsung magician shows the drive in good health. I have updated the firmware and the drive drops to zero but then recovers where before it did not recover so maybe just maybe the firmware has fixed it

Gonna move a lot of data too it and from it to check. Will update later
Old 12-04-2023, 09:15   #4
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Bear in mind that many SSDs will have over provisioning built in. This is a few extra percent of storage above what is stated on the label. If your drive is starting to wear, the firmware notes this and will try and use this headspace instead of bad regions of the drive.

If this does happen, CHKDSK will not see it as that headspace is hidden from the operating system. Eventually, the headspace will run out and that’s when the drive diagnostics software such as Samsung Magician will start to complain
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:18   #5
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

A month ago there was a Windows 11 update that adversely affected SSDs. Is it connected to that?
nomadking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:26   #6
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Filled the drive with 250GB folders copied to the drive then from the drive rinse and repeat until the whole drive was full and data had been copied from the whole drive so it appears the firmware update fixed it. Noob move by me really for not trying that first I just did not think it would be that