Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL 250 modem versus wireless internet access

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

An ISP's effect on a wireless connection...

Old 20-06-2007, 21:30   #1
bbwannabe
Inactive

bbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the rough
An ISP's effect on a wireless connection...

Over the past few weeks, my siblings have had problems connecting to the wireless network. Generally i've had the least set of problems connecting, probably once or twice, but often my other siblings seem to have these problems connecting to the network almost to some degree daily. Recent changes have been switching from a linksys router to a draytek router, and NTL/VM doing maintenance work and traffic shaping. Since there are times when everyone can connect, it seems to me that it's not so much a router problem than it is something caused by the ISP. So i'm just wondering if its possible that these connection issues for a few of my siblings is because of an issue on the other end rather than locally, as I would have assumed that it effected me the same frequency as the rest of my family. So i dunno...
bbwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-06-2007, 21:36   #2
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy
Re: An ISP's effect on a wireless connection...

The ISP can only see the public side of the router, they cant see your network side.
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 21:37   #3
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

An ISP can't do anything to your wireless connection, it's more likely to be somebody else close by that's got a wireless network on the same channel.

Also, Draytek routers have really awfull wireless functionalilty(I have set up about half a dozen Draytek Vigors, and all off them have had interoperability problems with other manufacturers products).

Have you been to the Draytek site to get the latest firmware?
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 22:13   #4
bbwannabe
Inactive

bbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the rough

I have been on the draytek site but i'm not too comfortable trying to flash it to the latest firmware just yet. Just flashed a pioneer dvd burner and it seems to be giving me more problems than it was before... soo....

Using the draytek setup it has determined there is a access point on channel 11, but when i change it to channel 1, windows zero configuration doesn't always show the network on it's list. I will give it another try though.

---------- Post added at 22:13 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

Well just changed it to channel 1 and my little brother's connection dropped and sis's connection has connected but not transmitting in the slightest. So i'll try out channel 6.

Channel 6 is better, but i haven't fully tested it with older brother's comp yet. Is it worth trying other channels besides 1,6 and 11?

Also can someone verify that a capped L package is actually 192kbps (or 24KBs), as my lag toolbar on irc shoots up to 1-2+ seconds compared to <50ms lag when i'm uploading at 20KBs.
bbwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2007, 10:03   #5
GeoffW
Inactive

GeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbwannabe View Post
Is it worth trying other channels besides 1,6 and 11?
That depends what else is around. Take a look at the site survey/monitor utility with your wireless card and see what else is around you and how strong a signal they are.
GeoffW is offline   Reply With Quote