Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help With Wireless Adaptors!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless speed issues Please Help..

Old 25-02-2007, 22:19   #1
BogMacUK
Inactive

BogMacUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless speed issues Please Help..

Hi all, just got myself VMedia 10mg and a Belkin N1 Wireless Router. When I connect via ethernet cable str8 to cable modem I get full speed. When I connect to my Belkin N1 Wireless Router the speed reduces by around 70%.

Been searching internet but still not sorted.

Please help

thanks

Ben
BogMacUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-02-2007, 22:22   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: Wireless speed issues Please Help..

What signal strength have you got? What wireless device have you got in/ attached to the PC?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2007, 22:29   #3
BogMacUK
Inactive

Signal strenght is Excellent. I have an internal wireleess card in laptop, Broadcom 802.11a/b/g.

Do you think a better wireless card is required as the router is N1?

Thanks for you reply

Ben
Old 25-02-2007, 22:32   #4
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Are they both set to the same standard? A/ B/ G? Also are they matched devices? You could try changing channels on the router.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2007, 23:09   #5
BogMacUK
Inactive

Not sure what mean about setting to the same standard, so probably No.

They are not matching devices.

have yet to try different channels, currently on channel 1

Ben

---------- Post added at 23:09 ---------- Previous post was at 22:35 ----------

Managed to get up to 4.2Mbps with channels, but now it has gone back to the below, what ever the channel:

Sun, 25 Feb 2007 23:08:09 GMT

1st 512K took 2671 ms = 191.7 KB/sec, approx 1580 Kbps, 1.54 Mbps
2nd 512K took 3219 ms = 159.1 KB/sec, approx 1311 Kbps, 1.28 Mbps
3rd 512K took 2156 ms = 237.5 KB/sec, approx 1957 Kbps, 1.91 Mbps
4th 512K took 1750 ms = 292.6 KB/sec, approx 2411 Kbps, 2.35 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 1815 Kbps, 1.77 Mbps

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ben
Old 04-03-2007, 20:37   #6
BogMacUK
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMacUK View Post
Not sure what mean about setting to the same standard, so probably No.

They are not matching devices.

have yet to try different channels, currently on channel 1

Ben

---------- Post added at 23:09 ---------- Previous post was at 22:35 ----------

Managed to get up to 4.2Mbps with channels, but now it has gone back to the below, what ever the channel:

Sun, 25 Feb 2007 23:08:09 GMT

1st 512K took 2671 ms = 191.7 KB/sec, approx 1580 Kbps, 1.54 Mbps
2nd 512K took 3219 ms = 159.1 KB/sec, approx 1311 Kbps, 1.28 Mbps
3rd 512K took 2156 ms = 237.5 KB/sec, approx 1957 Kbps, 1.91 Mbps
4th 512K took 1750 ms = 292.6 KB/sec, approx 2411 Kbps, 2.35 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 1815 Kbps, 1.77 Mbps

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ben
Hi changed routers, now got a linksys WRT54G. Still having same problems. 10mb Virgin BB, get good speeds when connect direct to pc, but wireless I am getting speed of about 2mb. What next?

Please Help, driving me crazy!!

Cheers

Ben
Old 05-03-2007, 17:43   #7
dranny69
Inactive

Services: virgin TV xl + sports and movies v+ 10 MEG BB TALK UNLIMITED 24
dranny69 will become famous soon enoughdranny69 will become famous soon enoughdranny69 will become famous soon enough

Try this BogMacUk i had the same problem since i got a new router on saturday (wrt54gl), tried the below, and i am now getting full 10 meg :-

Download DrTCP - http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

Set TCP Receive Window (RWIN) to 64240

Select your network adapter (wireless adapter in my case)

Set MTU to 1500 and leave other settings.

Hit Save, Exit and Reboot your computer.

good luck!
dranny69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 13:28   #8
suvdave
Inactive

suvdave is an unknown quantity at this point

Came upon this forum topic. I have exactly this same issue with my Belkin N1 wireless router. When I replaced my previous wired router with the Belkin N1 using it as a wired router (wireless turned off), my download speed drops to about 1/10th of what it was before the switch. Again, this is using cables, not wireless. When I switch back to my prior router, speed goes back to normal. Switch to Belkin N1, speed drops to 1/10th the prior speed. Nothing I've tried will get it up to speed. I talked with Belkin techinical support and they recommended I turn my computer network card (mine is 3Comm Gigabit built into the motherboard) down to 10 Mb half duplex. This only helped a little (brought speed up to 1/5th of prior value) but is an unacceptable maneuver. I'm not going to cripple my wired network for a new router.

Why is my wired network connection so slow to the Belkin N1 router when it has never had any problems with my prior routers (lastest is Linksys BEFSR41)? Maybe I'll just use it as a wireless access point with my old router. Any suggestions?
suvdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 19:26   #9
-Xt)2eM3-
Inactive

Services: VM 10MB Cable BB
-Xt)2eM3- is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvdave View Post
Came upon this forum topic. I have exactly this same issue with my Belkin N1 wireless router. When I replaced my previous wired router with the Belkin N1 using it as a wired router (wireless turned off), my download speed drops to about 1/10th of what it was before the switch. Again, this is using cables, not wireless. When I switch back to my prior router, speed goes back to normal. Switch to Belkin N1, speed drops to 1/10th the prior speed. Nothing I've tried will get it up to speed. I talked with Belkin techinical support and they recommended I turn my computer network card (mine is 3Comm Gigabit built into the motherboard) down to 10 Mb half duplex. This only helped a little (brought speed up to 1/5th of prior value) but is an unacceptable maneuver. I'm not going to cripple my wired network for a new router.

Why is my wired network connection so slow to the Belkin N1 router when it has never had any problems with my prior routers (lastest is Linksys BEFSR41)? Maybe I'll just use it as a wireless access point with my old router. Any suggestions?

Now you've put me off buying the n1 router. It looks so sexy ^^ And sleek

But for £100 - 115, what you have said takes the biscuit...

Aint gettin it now.
-Xt)2eM3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 22:45   #10
suvdave
Inactive

suvdave is an unknown quantity at this point

Update on Belkin N1. After going through my network and resetting the network connection at each computer, I've managed to get my Belkin N1 working adequately as a wired router. I now have good speed in transferring files between my wired computers (77 Mb file in 31 sec.). I am also able to get my WAN internet connection up to the same speed as with my prior wired router (4.1 Mbps on DSL).

Now I can proceed to turn on the wireless feature and see how I do with a wireless connection to my laptop. So far, my previous misgivings about the Belkin N1 have been resolved. Their tech support is so-so. Good response time but the person in India I talked with was not able to solve my problem (I had to figure it out myself).
suvdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2007, 18:57   #11
maddywork
Inactive

maddywork is an unknown quantity at this point

Hia just wanna add a quick thanks to dranny69 for his advise...i just bought a new laptop sony vaio vgn-n11m/w and a netgear wgt624....when connected the router using ethernet directly to laptop it gave up to 10meg (as im on the 10mb virginmedia)...but when connetcing using the wireless on laptop it gave me under 5meg.....but doing what dranny69 recommended...i know get :

Thu, 15 Mar 2007 18:57:25 UTC

1st 512K took 437 ms = 1171.6 KB/sec, approx 9654 Kbps, 9.43 Mbps
2nd 512K took 438 ms = 1169 KB/sec, approx 9633 Kbps, 9.41 Mbps
3rd 512K took 437 ms = 1171.6 KB/sec, approx 9654 Kbps, 9.43 Mbps
4th 512K took 422 ms = 1213.3 KB/sec, approx 9998 Kbps, 9.76 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 9735 Kbps, 9.51 Mbps
maddywork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 16:54   #12
DaMaster
Inactive

DaMaster is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm having the same problems, i get 9.5 mpbs direct from modem to pc via ethernet and router to pc via ethernet i get similar speeds but with wireless i get around 4 mbps and ive tried the software that dranny69 said but no luck, i have tried all the different channels and without any security enabled, i tried both netgear wgt624 and currently using vpn82 both the same speed issue.

edit: also i dont think its anything to do with my laptop as at uni i get around 8 mpbs wireless.
DaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 00:44   #13
v0vannn
Inactive

v0vannn is an unknown quantity at this point

Dranny69 - thanks a lot - it helped

but how does this programme do it ? and i have other wireless users at home - do they get the better speed as well ?
v0vannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 18:55   #14
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

Dranny69, you are da Man!

I was getting at best, around 4.5 Meg on my wireless laptop. Now getting close to 10 Meg from my 10 Meg connection.

A BIG thank you from me!
HDFootyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 22:45   #15
iainst26
Inactive

iainst26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dranny69 View Post
Try this BogMacUk i had the same problem since i got a new router on saturday (wrt54gl), tried the below, and i am now getting full 10 meg :-

Download DrTCP - http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

Set TCP Receive Window (RWIN) to 64240

Select your network adapter (wireless adapter in my case)

Set MTU to 1500 and leave other settings.

Hit Save, Exit and Reboot your computer.

good luck!
Excellent, well a start at least

Im on VM 20meg but wirelessly was only achieving 4meg now using the above i seem to be achieving 10meg im wondering if it can be set to recieve anymore wirelessly?

Big thanks though for the progress already
iainst26 is offline   Reply With Quote