Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Port Forwarding

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Matching cable modem and Linksys WAG54GS router-cant get them to work together? Help!

Old 22-03-2008, 11:02   #1
stephenc
Inactive

stephenc is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Matching cable modem and Linksys WAG54GS router-cant get them to work together? Help!

Virgin Media have just installed DSL at a new flat for me and provided me with a modem with 3 connections -

1 Power
2 Cable
3 Ethernet

From my last house I've brought a Linksys WAG54S router which was connected to BT. I'm now trying to set up a wireless network

1st problem is that the ethernet cable coming from the modem will not fit the line (telephone type cable) connection on the router, so I then changed this to a telephone line cable which obviously fits the 'line' connection on the router and sort of fits the 'ethernet' connection on the modem. Is this right?

2nd problem is that I don't know what settings I should use for the router? The previous ones were for BT but I've just reset the router to clear all, but should I be setting username and password?

All advice appreciated thanks, Stephen
stephenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-03-2008, 11:11   #2
RDDearing
Inactive

RDDearing will become famous soon enoughRDDearing will become famous soon enoughRDDearing will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to RDDearing
Re: Matching cable modem and Linksys WAG54GS router-cant get them to work together? H

The router from your BT setup is for ADSL - this router will not work with the Virgin modem. You will need a DSL router which will have another "ethernet" (RJ-45) connection in place of the telephone (RJ-11) one that your current router has.
RDDearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 11:16   #3
stephenc
Inactive

Re: Matching cable modem and Linksys WAG54GS router-cant get them to work together? H

Thanks RDDearing. I don't understand though, I did a search on the forum for my type of router and others seems to have connected it. How does theirs work but mine wont?

Also, if I'm to replace mine, what sort of wireless router should I look for? What search words should I use and is there any specific wireless ones recommended? Is there a specific type which has "ethernet" (RJ-45)?

Thanks, Stephen
Old 22-03-2008, 11:25   #4
RDDearing
Inactive

RDDearing will become famous soon enoughRDDearing will become famous soon enoughRDDearing will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to RDDearing

You should be looking for a DSL not ADSL router - that's about it. If you've taken up the 20Mb package then you need to make sure the "WAN" port (the one that connects to the modem) is listed as a 10/100 port as opposed to a 10Mbps port otherwise you won't get the full speed.

As for recommendations that's where the other guys in the forum come in as I've only ever used one and that would make advice a bit blinkered.
RDDearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 11:31   #5
bayonet
cf.addict

Services: 152Mb 2AC Superhub XL TV with TIVO
bayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nice

Have a look at this one had it a month no problems

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/97221
bayonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 11:40   #6
stephenc
Inactive

Thanks guys, I thinking I understand now. Anybody using a LinkSys that they can recommend?