Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Distribution System

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Broadband L + Belkin N600 play = GAH

Old 20-02-2011, 20:36   #1
deviouscreation
Inactive

deviouscreation is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin Broadband L + Belkin N600 play = GAH

This weekend, I bought a new router as our netgear one was old and we had been getting quite a slow connection. I went for the Belkin N600 play (F7D4302uk), as I use our connection for downloads, xbox live and streaming music.

However, it keeps coming up with more and more issues.

When I first set it up and installed the software, I was prompted to update the programs (Router monitor, etc).. On doing this, the monitor program could no longer connect or find the router. Eventually it did. Then we decided to change the SSID and password to something more memorable. On doing this, once again the monitor software would fail to detect the router. HOWEVER, my belkin wireless adapter had no such problem. In fact, I was able to not only surf but also hop onto the router's page and see it was connected, whilst the monitor software kept saying it couldnt find it.

After doing some searching online, I found a link to update the router's firmware. After following the instructions to the button, including a factory reset, the router monitor software worked.. but as it did, the adapter's software experienced problems, and I kept getting disconnected. I then tried updating the adapter's drivers/sofware, and a reset. Sure enough, I was back online, but the router monitor once again said it couldn't find it.

We've had this ongoing for a while now. I really dont know why. Part of me suspects there is a conflict between the belkin wireless adapter software and that of the router monitor.. as if they are fighting over it! I've rung Virgin Media, and all they could suggest was the usual on off. This didnt really do much. We then tried linking a pc direct to the modem, and got abolutely NO connection. So I figured the modem was screwed up. Got an engineer to come out to us in a couple of days, and ended the call. Hooked the belkin router back up, and hey presto... Signal and connection. WTF?

At present, our connection appears to work fine. It's back up to higher speeds etc, but the router monitor software is awful, and remains a faliure in attempts to connect with the router. I dont really wish to attempt to resolve it though, because when I do it usually screws up the adaptor and im left with a constantly dropping out connection. (I've even had one blue screen of death.)

So, apologies for the long post.. but has anyone else had similar issues, and did anyone find a way to resolve them? I want to use the monitor software, as it seems to have some good apps, but not if its a major conflict.
deviouscreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-02-2011, 21:07   #2
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Virgin Broadband L + Belkin N600 play = GAH

to the forum. As this does not appear to be a problem specific to Virgin Media, I have moved the post to our general networking forum.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 22:29   #3
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviouscreation View Post

I've rung Virgin Media, and all they could suggest was the usual on off. This didnt really do much. We then tried linking a pc direct to the modem, and got abolutely NO connection. So I figured the modem was screwed up. Got an engineer to come out to us in a couple of days, and ended the call. Hooked the belkin router back up, and hey presto... Signal and connection. WTF?
When you did this you did reboot the modem otherwise the modem would still have the Belkin MAC address stored on it and would not be providing your computer with an ip address.

Try connecting direct again and rebooting the modem by powering it down and if you get broadband after the reboot the issue is with the router setup.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 13:19   #4
paulontour
Inactive

paulontour is an unknown quantity at this point
Belkin play

Hi

I wasn't sure where to put this so apologies if this is not right!

I would basically like someone to give me an idea as to why this happens...

I am on 10mb virgin media, with a Belkin Play router attached to the cable modem. I wanted a central place to put all my videos, photos etc. When I attached a 1TB external HD to the Belkin Play router by USB, mostly the laptops do find the drive. However, sometimes they don't.

When I try to copy something to the drive, the internet connection slows right down so much that my wife won't be able to access the internet at all.

On top of this, I was thinking about upgrading to 50mb but I understand you have to have a superhub. I wanted to get a NAS drive to sit with this, but have read some terrible threads about this. Also, has the issue over the superhub and the PS3 been sorted? I would love to connect the PS3 to the NAS.

Many thanks for any help

Paul.
paulontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 12:05   #5
Anmar
Inactive

Services: VM
Anmar is an unknown quantity at this point

I have VM L package and I just bought the same router as you. ever since I bought the belkin router, my internet keeps disconnecting and some time not internet at all, I thought the problem is in the setting but it seems to be more complected than I thought.

and yeah my router monitor program doesn't work, just like you. so I just give up the whole thing and I just boxed my router and shelved it. they said I can't return it because it has memory. I spend £80 for absolutely nothing!

if you can help i would appreciate it
Anmar is offline   Reply With Quote