Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | WRT54GS Router Encryption

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Add Ethernet to G3 Mac???

Old 10-08-2005, 08:53   #1
KingPhoenix
Inactive

Services: Sky+ & 8mb ADSL + BT Together option 3
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to KingPhoenix
Add Ethernet to G3 Mac???

Hi,

I need to add a second network adapter to a Mac we have at work... not knowing the units very well at all, i need to know how to go about doing this. All of the USB models i can find dont mention the mac os at all.... We have 2 macs, 1 is an iMac, and the other is a G3. the iMac runs OSx and the G3 runs OS9 (due to software constraints)

I would prefer to put the card into the G3... is it possible to purchase a second network card? Like you can with a PC etc??? And before anyone suggests assigning multiple IPs to the original card, i need the mac to connect to 2 completely seperate networks, they are not on the same switches or anything.....

TIA
KingPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2005, 09:33   #2
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Add Ethernet to G3 Mac???

AFAIK, the Mac *should* support multiple network cards. IIRC the G3 has PCI slots (our elderly G3 is in storage somewhere, so I can't check), so just try bunging on old network card in there.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:12   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

For the purposes of elimination, I can confirm that you cannot add a second card to the iMac (unless it's for wireless).
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:32   #4
KingPhoenix
Inactive

KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array

So the G3 should take box standard PCI????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T
For the purposes of elimination, I can confirm that you cannot add a second card to the iMac (unless it's for wireless).

Hmmm that means it must go on the G3 then......
Old 10-08-2005, 12:28   #5
toots66
Inactive

toots66 is on a distinguished roadtoots66 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPhoenix
MacOS 9 will almost certainly need a driver so you may need to get a Mac-specific PCI card.

Just out of interest, do you plan on the G3 accessing just one network at a time? Or is one AppleTalk and the other TCP, for example?
toots66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 12:40   #6
Stuart
-

Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPhoenix
I believe the G3 tower has fairly standard PCI slots. I say fairly standard, as I think the operating software (BIOS) on the card needs to be Mac compatible.
Old 10-08-2005, 13:52   #7
KingPhoenix
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by toots66
MacOS 9 will almost certainly need a driver so you may need to get a Mac-specific PCI card.

Just out of interest, do you plan on the G3 accessing just one network at a time? Or is one AppleTalk and the other TCP, for example?
Both will be tcp/ip, i believe one will also use appletalk to talk to the agfa machines......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C
I believe the G3 tower has fairly standard PCI slots. I say fairly standard, as I think the operating software (BIOS) on the card needs to be Mac compatible.
Ah... fugglewits

Any chance someone has a link to a suitable card?
Old 10-08-2005, 14:40   #8
KingPhoenix
Inactive

Doh!!!!

Just been told its a G4.....
Old 10-08-2005, 14:45   #9
Stuart
-

Well, I found a company that does multiport Gigabit NICs for the mac... They list their products as being compatible with the G4, but with PCI-X slots only,

Have a look anyway. They are at http://www.small-tree.com/mp_cards.htm or http://www.small-tree.com/products.htm
Old 10-08-2005, 14:47   #10
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

This article might be useful to you KP:

http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=07737
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 16:33   #11
KingPhoenix
Inactive

Cool...... Those small-tree cards are a but pricey for a 2nd ethernet connection....

Thanks for that link Chris, now ordered a D-Link card based on the Intel pro 100 M chipset....