Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router problems - wireless works but no ethernet on main computer - please help

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Recomendations for AOL Wireless Router Please

Old 06-07-2007, 23:10   #1
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
Recomendations for AOL Wireless Router Please

I've never used AOL before, I had always thought that becuase they have their own proprietary way of doing things it was best for me to avoid them, but perhaps that's an outdated perception....

So my mum is getting a wireless laptop and I'm going to set it all up for her and so I am looking out this weekend for a wireless router that will work well with AOL.

Does it make any difference in what I am looking for? Do AOL really do anything differently to any other DSL provider?

The bottom line is will any router work on AOL, or will a specific one work better?

Any help gratefully received as always.
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2007, 23:12   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: Recomendations for AOL Wireless Router Please

I beleive that AOL will only give you support on Netgear/Speedtouch Routers, otherwise you should be fine, so long as it has a built in ADSL Modem!
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 23:21   #3
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

I'd recommend the Netgear DG834G or GT.

Good little wireless modem/router.

Currently use the DG834GT with Sky BB, & previously used a DG834G with Firefly.

The DG834G is supported by AOL, not sure about the GT but I don't see why not:

http://myaolbroadband.co.uk/broadban...Networking.adp
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 23:32   #4
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
I'd recommend the Netgear DG834G or GT.

Good little wireless modem/router.

Currently use the DG834GT with Sky BB, & previously used a DG834G with Firefly.

It's supported by AOL:

http://myaolbroadband.co.uk/broadban...Networking.adp
I've successfully setup a belkin router with AOL (eventually) and then later a netgear DG384GT after the belkin died

which a few months later i had to swap out for a DG834 because the person decided to migrate to sky broadband, oh well was a dead easy swap didn't even have to rerun the power cable just used the old PSU (they've kept hold of their DG834GT as a spare router case they need it)
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 23:40   #5
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Another vote here for the Netgear DG834G

List of supported and recommended router/modems for use with AOL:

http://help.aol.co.uk/what-does-aol-...13053809990001

It's pretty simple to hook up.
One thing worth doing is creating an additonal screename & password that you will enter on the routers setup page.
This means that the router signs on as the new screenname but each computer can still access their own screenames.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 23:53   #6
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Another vote here for the Netgear DG834G

List of supported and recommended router/modems for use with AOL:

http://help.aol.co.uk/what-does-aol-...13053809990001

It's pretty simple to hook up.
One thing worth doing is creating an additonal screename & password that you will enter on the routers setup page.
This means that the router signs on as the new screenname but each computer can still access their own screenames.
Yes I couldn't get the router to sign in the main one anyway.

You don't need to signing or even touch the AOL software if you don't want once the router is setup
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:30   #7
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

Thanks very much to all....so if I am seeing this correctly, AOL works in the same way as every other ISP, so I can pretty much use any router I like, but AOL won't actually offer any support if I don't use their recommened ones?

The idea of not using their software is a good one to me, but I guess I will need to see if my mum is OK with that.

Looking at the AOL pages they seem to like to auto-configure routers with their settings, but I can see no manual way to do it with thier settings. Any clues please?
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote