Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Smart Meter, Yae or Nae?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

National Service in the British Military

Old Yesterday, 13:29   #1
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star
National Service in the British Military

BBC.co.uk article

So what does Cable Forum think to this one? Interested to hear some other's thoughts on this

I couldn't see this already posted, apologies if it is.
Old Yesterday, 13:35   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: National Service in the British Military

This is being discussed as part of the election campaign thread here:

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33712705

Except in very exceptional circumstances, manifesto commitments should be discussed in the main thread to prevent cross-posting.

I’ll let this one run for a little while to see if there’s appetite for a general discussion around national service, but if it becomes a duplicate discussion of the election campaign I’ll close it.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 14:59   #3
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Well it should me mandatory, some of these chav's and thugs, would soon be put in their place, and find that a 6ft 5 drill Sargent wont be intimidated by them

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 15:10   #4
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

We had YOPS (or was it YETIs?) serving with us. Most eventually signed-on at age 18, but one lad, the bane of his SNCO's life, just tore up his uniform and walked off the base.

Then there was YTS, followed by "volunteering" as a part of the Baccalaureate course. Most in our twins' year refused to work in Care Homes or Special Needs Schools, so ended-up Charity Chugging inside supermarkets (too cold and wet outside for the poor dears).
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 15:12   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Well it should me mandatory, some of these chav's and thugs, would soon be put in their place, and find that a 6ft 5 drill Sargent wont be intimidated by them
But what makes you think any of the 6’5” drill sergeants presently employed in the British Army have any interest in running a borstal for chavs? All of them are professional soldiers who have themselves become skilled at training professional soldiers for a professional army. The drill sergeants want to be there and the young men and women they train want to be there. Conscription is a whole other sort of operation that simply is not part of our national psyche, seeing as nobody here under about 80 years of age has done it. We introduced it at a time when we had no choice and then were able to continue it because the infrastructure for it was in place thanks to the war.
Old Yesterday, 16:12   #6
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
But what makes you think any of the 6’5” drill sergeants presently employed in the British Army have any interest in running a borstal for chavs? All of them are professional soldiers who have themselves become skilled at training professional soldiers for a professional army. The drill sergeants want to be there and the young men and women they train want to be there. Conscription is a whole other sort of operation that simply is not part of our national psyche, seeing as nobody here under about 80 years of age has done it. We introduced it at a time when we had no choice and then were able to continue it because the infrastructure for it was in place thanks to the war.

But some will find the army is for them.

I read a case many years ago about a guy who had 2 options prison or working with special need people, he thought the special needs was the better option, it was hard, but in the end he carried on as he found his vocation.

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Old Yesterday, 16:25   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
But some will find the army is for them.

I read a case many years ago about a guy who had 2 options prison or working with special need people, he thought the special needs was the better option, it was hard, but in the end he carried on as he found his vocation.
Charming and all that, but doesn’t answer my question.

No drill sergeant presently in the British Army signed up, or trained, for the task of beating recalcitrant young adults into *insert approved outcome here*. That is not what the army is for. Why should the army, or its drill sergeants, be expected to pick up a broken society’s crap?
Old Yesterday, 16:45   #8
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

No drill sergeant presently in the British Army signed up, or trained, for the task of beating recalcitrant young adults into *insert approved outcome here*. That is not what the army is for. Why should the army, or its drill sergeants, be expected to pick up a broken society’s crap?
Quoted for truth...

When I joined up in the '70s (1970s, for any smerterse out there), the point of Basic Training was to find out if you could adapt to being part of the Military, work as part of a team, and to start to shape your potential - however, you could drop out at any point if you realised this life wasn't for you (the drop out rate in Basic was around 10-20% of the intake). You then went on to trade training, and in my course of 20, only 12 completed it.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 17:15   #9
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

If not the armed forces , which is for one year seems to be a waste of everyone's time. Working each weekend for year in the fireservice or what ever certainly is. Hope I misheard that parents will be held responsible of their 18 year old not doing it. Crazy idea , if this is the extent of tories thinking . Monster raving looney looks good.
Old Yesterday, 17:17   #10
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:

---------- Post added at 17:17 ---------- Previous post was at 17:16 ----------

Quote:

Old Yesterday, 17:23   #11
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Quote:

But won't these be the age of normal recruits?

I get what you mean, but jobs change and people have to change with them.

I did in many jobs, but I was told adapt or quit.

Old Yesterday, 18:34   #12
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

If this is going to be voted for then maybe everybody should do it?

If this is about a fantastic opportunity to give back to the communities that raised us then I don't see why we artificial limit it to people who are 18 when we've all benefited from our country. Why limit the ability to 'give back' to those lucky kids who'll turn 18 in 2029?

It might look to them as if we're forcing them to do something we wouldn't do ourselves. We get compelled to do jury service so let's follow that model.

Every so often there will be a draw and if you're picked you need to do some community service for one weekend every month for a year. You're eligible from 18 to 75. Once you've done your year then that's you sorted for life.

If you don't you're fined and barred from public service jobs.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 18:35   #13
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

I am 100% against this
Old Yesterday, 19:18   #14
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
I did in many jobs, but I was told adapt or quit.
The point of national service is that you aren’t allowed to quit.
Old Yesterday, 19:57   #15
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Brilliant idea…..

In one hand we were warned that we live in particularly difficult/dangerous times on the other hand let’s take £2.5bn and waste it an an attempt to satisfy a desperate attempt to incentivise older voters rather than where it’s supposedly needed.

I fully expect the next Tory party political broadcast to feature the theme music from the Hovis advert and a sepia cobbled street.

As a side note approx 31yrs ago I had my final interview at Fulford barracks York. Thankfully the officer interviewing me realised I had no interest whatsoever in joining and it was all the ruse of my arse of a step father. Bullet dodged possibly in more ways than one