Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | best router?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

best wireless router

Old 21-11-2010, 12:55   #1
philwhite100
This tastes nice

Services: TiVo V6 - 500mb -
philwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to philwhite100
best wireless router

We have the DIR-615 at the moment but it is dreadfull on wireless, i have tried all the usual adjustments so i am looking to go out and get one. I did consider the Belkin N1 Vision but it has bad reviews so what would you recomend??

I just want one that will work well on 50meg that's not too expensive with a good wireless range.

Thanks.
philwhite100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-11-2010, 13:03   #2
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age
Re: best wireless router

What's your budget phil,
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 14:54   #3
philwhite100
This tastes nice

philwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nice

About £85.00 ish.

What about this one Belkin N1 Wireless Cable Router F5D8231UK
Old 22-11-2010, 08:37   #4
pabscars
Inactive

pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwhite100 View Post
About £85.00 ish.

What about this one Belkin N1 Wireless Cable Router F5D8231UK
I came close to buying one myself, but the lady in the shop said they have had loads of them back under warranty,

So I plumped for a cisco (Linksys) WRT610N, and its been rock solid with great wireless coverage.

However this was a bit more than £85
Old 22-11-2010, 18:11   #5
philwhite100
This tastes nice

So it seems that Belkin routers are not of good quality then.
I will have to reconsider my budget and probably pay a bit more which i dont mind as long is it performs well so what would you suggest??

Thanks.

EDIT... is this the one you mean??

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/...386922&CatId=0
Old 22-11-2010, 18:30   #6
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
So it seems that Belkin routers are not of good quality then.
I will have to reconsider my budget and probably pay a bit more which i dont mind as long is it performs well so what would you suggest??

Thanks.

EDIT... is this the one you mean??

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/...386922&CatId=0
No, that's a 160. I think it's this one:

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/...541&CatId=3060
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 20:58   #7
pabscars
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
No, that's a 160. I think it's this one:

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/...541&CatId=3060
Correctamondo

There are probably loads of routers that are decent around this price bracket but I can only vouch for this one.

sorry dude

You could always try looking here http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/inde...newsId=3217482
Old 24-11-2010, 13:12   #8
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Before you spend money possibly unneccesarily, have you looked at the WiFi spectrum where you live?

Download inSSIDer from www.metageek.net/products/inssider this is a free application that lets you look at the wireless networks in your vicinity and avoid clashes with busy channels; made a great difference to my wifi as most routers seem to default to the same channels!
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 18:11   #9
philwhite100
This tastes nice

Thanks for that link progers. I have just downloaded it so will take a look soon.
Old 25-11-2010, 21:38   #10
philwhite100
This tastes nice

I have installed that software and no matter which channel i select i get others in my area in the spectrum.

Can anything be done about this?? are there any other options instead of 2.4Ghz, what about 5Ghz as this is listed on that software but appears to be completely clear.
Old 25-11-2010, 21:53   #11
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

5 GHz is the old 'A' wireless used in the US - so no
If can't get a completely clear channel, pick the one with the weakest competition.

---------- Post added at 21:53 ---------- Previous post was at 21:47 ----------

Actually, it appears you can also use N wireless on 5 GHz in the UK. But that would probably require everything on the network being an N device.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 23:32   #12
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
I have installed that software and no matter which channel i select i get others in my area in the spectrum.

Can anything be done about this?? are there any other options instead of 2.4Ghz, what about 5Ghz as this is listed on that software but appears to be completely clear.
The only thing you can do is select a channel where the centre of your spectrum is where the least amplitudes of the others appear
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 18:31   #13
philwhite100
This tastes nice

Thanks for your advice. I like the look and specs of the DIR-855 so i might end up getting one.
Old 30-11-2010, 17:25   #14
VortexBoy
Inactive

VortexBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a Netgear WGR614 v9 router provided by Virgin Media and all is fine except there's a spot in my house where the signal is only average at best.

Is this a case of needing a different/better router and is this a known problem with this router?

The distance from the router to the problem area is around 20 ft.
There are some internal walls in between the 2 points but there are other areas of the house where this is so and the signal is excellent.

What would you recommend?
VortexBoy is offline   Reply With Quote