View Single Post
Old 16-03-2023, 14:18   #158
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: The Smart Meter Con

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
We might be at cross-purposes. I'm looking ahead to when the suppliers implement their variable TOD/load tariffs. It's dipping into our pockets again.
The tariffs already exist and are currently considerably cheaper than the government cap rates and have been for most of the past 6 months. Martin has also caught on now and been recommending them to people who arent risk averse on his ITV show.

http://mysmartenergy.uk/Tracker/Southern-England

The red line on that graph is unit rate for the government cap.

Its similar on Agile (time of day electric) where big chunks of the day are cheaper.

I think you seem to be extremely risk averse so prefer an assured price 24/7 than a variable follow wholesale costs type of pricing. Even if it means you paying too much at off peak periods, knowing that you wont pay more than your assured price at peak.

Currently my agile tariff is capped at the government unit rate so ironically I have the same assurance as you now (with half of the standing charge) and cheaper off peak pricing.

I do believe choice is king so I wouldnt be against legacy tariffs remaining available as a choice for risk averse people. (smart meters can be used on legacy pricing, you not required to use a time of day or tracker tariff)

Attaching my today electric costs. it also shows the price I am paying today for gas.

Even better is these costs arent subsidised, they are "naturally" cheaper, the current SVR (fixed unit rates) would be much higher without the government subsidies.
Attached Images
File Type: png octopus-costs.png (95.8 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Chrysalis; 16-03-2023 at 14:26.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote