View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 13:36   #355
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
I cannot quite work out if you really are as naive as you sound, or just on a wind up.

The world is full of different people, with different views, different tastes etc etc.
Its not some fluffy fantasy land full of rainbows, unicorns and everyone being nice to each other.

You cannot police opinion.

Are you having a laugh (again) ?
The government are cutting back on everything (including real police officers) so they sure as hell aren't going to pay for a load of "moderators".

(and who will be moderating the moderators ?)
It's not the different views etc that are the problem, it's about people treating each other with respect and kindness. Yes, there are some dreadful people in the world, but the goal should be to bring them up to a decent level of communicating with others. Over the years this has slowly but surely improved e.g. terminology routinely used when I was a child is now (at the very least) socially unacceptable.

I think that education is the best way to do it but, unfortunately, more formal action is sometimes neccessary.

The Government wouldn't be paying the salaries of the moderators, if would be the social networking sites etc that would meet the cost if the German model is adopted as Ofcom have proposed. I think there's a good chance that if will be because, as you rightly say, the Government isn't putting enough resources into general policing as it is.

If either party disagreed with the moderator decision, they would be able to take it further, probably Ofcom.

---------- Post added at 13:36 ---------- Previous post was at 13:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
You're expecting humans to act against human nature? Some less than others undoubtedly but nobody on the planet is capable of being like that 100% of the time.
Yes, everybody has their off days or is 'baited', but i'm talking about mean spirited or deliberately malicious things that are uploaded. If it makes people think carefully before posting something then it can only be a good thing.

Free speech is a right not afforded to many in the world and shouldn't be abused.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote