Thread: Pronouns
View Single Post
Old 18-08-2022, 12:27   #42
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Pronouns

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Doesn't this just come down to acceptance, if Eddie Izzard wants to use the pronouns she/her then so what? individuals might not agree with it but there is zero cost to respecting someone's wishes.

people (not necessarily you) who refuse to go this type of request will usually be the first to complain when their own requests aren't listened to or their feelings are being imposed on.

I'm an atheist but I'm not going to run round refusing to acknowledge people's religious beliefs just because it's something i don't believe in.

Protestant? Good for you
Catholic? Good for you
Non binary? Great
Pastafarian? Touch me with your noodly appendage
The issue isn’t with people believing what they want (though I’m sceptical that in many cases society is dealing effectively with emerging mental health issues by being so laissez-faire). The problem lies in this movement’s assertion that others are being ignorant or hateful if they do not fundamentally adjust their use of English grammar to accommodate them.

Obviously if someone I don’t know presents themselves to me with a female name, wearing a dress and makeup I’m going to continue to refer to them as “she”, even if it later transpires they’re biologically male. I’m not about to look for opportunities to be offensive. But the multitude of gender states invented by critical gender theory are preposterous and I have no intention of miring myself in the language of that subculture in order to avoid giving “offence,” any more than I would bother to learn the correct way to discuss trainspotting.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote