Thread: Football 2020/2021 season
View Single Post
Old 14-10-2020, 09:51   #103
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: 2020/2021 season

I like some of these plans. Getting rid of the Charity Shield = good. I wouldn't get rid of the League Cup but I would exempt any team in Europe from it. It's one of the less popular ideas but I also support reducing the teams to 18. I think there are far too many games but I worry they'll simply find more time for European football instead.

I like the reduction to 18 teams because I think you could do a post-Christmas winter break with those reduced fixtures. Something has to be done about fixture congestion, whenever there is a cancelled game it causes real headaches for teams. We're seeing more and more cases of teams having games really close to each other.

---------- Post added at 09:51 ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
14 clubs expected to shoot down proposal today. Obviously that leaves six. Not sure if that's THE six.
I think this is the opening salvo of a longer-term war. The big six will keep trying and these proposals might have been designed to make a concession more palatable. The big six want an NFL style league IMO. Not because they're worried about relegation but they're worried about more Manchester Citys, it's not about dropping out but other teams coming in.

To be in a protected slot instantly increases the value of the clubs because any new investor can't just buy a 'lower' tier club to get a seat at the big boy's table.

And so long as Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Manchester City and Chelsea are part of it then they'll have the prospect of making such a league possible.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote