View Single Post
Old 22-07-2022, 00:22   #1758
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Complete and utter nonsense, in fact, dangerously wrong.
The fact you actually believe this utter stupidity is worrying.

You preach about equality, and then suggest the exact opposite.

You pick the candidate best suited to the job.
Its irrelevnt if one is male/female/whatever or black/brown/white/whatever.
I haven't indicated my personal thoughts on the matter, I merely reacted to your point about my understanding of what point I think she's trying to get across.

My example was referring to a situation where two remaining candidates are of equal merit. I don't think that she was suggesting that someone that had less merit should be given the job because of ethnicity etc.

---------- Post added at 00:22 ---------- Previous post was at 00:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
The point of unconscious bias is exactly the point you make - we all have preferences, and like hires like, be that in teaching, IT, caring, etc.

To (try and) mitigate those preferences, it’s important to reduce the impact of those unconscious biases - remove identifying info from CVs, so people get to the next stage on the info on their CV, not by their names/sex/ethnicity. Then have diverse interview panels - if the interview panel for nursery teachers is made up of all women, they are likely to hire more of the same (just like in IT/engineering if it’s all men).

It’s not about positive discrimination, it’s about trying to create a level playing field…

Re the over-representation of one sex in certain professions, I actually had that conversation with a previous boss (a University Vice-Chancellor, female), who commented on the overwhelming preponderance of men in our IT Department - I agreed with her, and explained the actions we were taking to balance this (as above), but pointed out that perhaps the same issue should be looked at in Libraries (University), as their staffing levels were equally misbalanced with women…

---------- Post added at 00:09 ---------- Previous post was at 00:07 ----------

You’re not making the point you think you are…
A lot of organisations now purposely don't disclose the names of the candidates, in order to prevent unconscious bias/discrimination by interview panels.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote