View Single Post
Old 01-03-2022, 21:34   #276
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Freeview changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I was thinking that if Ofcom doesn't ban RT, but that their feed is cut off from Europe because of the EU ban, that they might still lawfully be able to broadcast to the UK from Millbank using locally produced content.

It would be foolish UK staff that would attempt to do this from London though.

If RT was banned by Ofcom, it would have to be removed from all EPG's, but satellite users would still be able to tune it in manually. However, an EU ban would prevent it from being uplinked in the first place.

I've since been told by professional broadcast staff that (for various reasons) it's very unlikely that Millbank has a facility to uplink RT.

If the EU ban results in the loss of the satellite feed and, assuming that this is where Freeview get their feed from it'll go off air in the UK altogether by default.

As we won't have officially banned it, I'm hoping that Putin may allow our journalists to remain in Russia. There again...
Uplink and broadcast frequencies are all regulated. For RT to continue to be available in the UK it would have to be uplinked from a location outside of the UK or EU, and then broadcast from a sat with a UK footprint but on a frequency outside of UK or EU control. Then the end user has to be motivated to manually tune their receiver (and most consumers don’t have a clue how to do that).

If the regulator decides to pull it, it’s as good as dead.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote