View Single Post
Old 01-03-2022, 13:20   #272
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Freeview changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
So is the upshot of this that RT could continue here using only UK provided content?
It’s up to Ofcom. I would think it unlikely they would see their role as being as proscriptive as designating which sources RT UK’s content may come from. I think that would be impossible to police, and in any case the problem with RT is not in the content of any individual programme but in its overall editorial policy. It is designed subtly to undermine UK national life and institutions in its daily choices around what to say and what not to say, and who to have say them. It surrounds that with a generous helping of regular news material by way of camouflage.

Ultimately Ofcom can dictate whether any broadcaster is permitted to spew forth its content across the airwaves within the UK. Freeview transmitters will not transmit its signals if Ofcom tells their owners not to. And the various UK companies providing EPG services can also be forbidden from doing so, as I understand that technically an EPG itself relies on a broadcast signal, which under UK law would require a broadcast licence.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote