View Single Post
Old 02-08-2021, 23:39   #9
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Discovery, ITV and Sky are eyeing up bids for Channel 4

Nothing wrong with independent producers except for not owning the content.

In-house production can lead to derivative programming, the various departments set in their own ways or feeling a pressure from those elsewhere in the company to conform, whether that pressure is actually there or not.

The strength of the British TV industry internationally is as much to do with its independent production companies as those made in-house for its big broadcasters.

The creation of Channel 4 back in the day was a significant part in the rise of UK independent production to what it is today.

Independent producers can end up making the same tedious, derivative rubbish too of course.

Film4 isn't the only thing still good, in my opinion. Walter Presents is fantastic (I usually only have time for those on More4 on Fridays, but I'd watch lots more if I had time) and so are their dramas and (to a lesser extent these days) their comedy on the mothership and E4.

It's the saturation of lifestyle, some of what is passed off as "factual" and the "reality" drivel that brings it down.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote