View Single Post
Old 15-11-2022, 17:51   #30
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: Ping Spikes - How is My BQM?

I get 0.5-1ms jitter from about 2am to about 3pm, then around 2ms after that with occasional sudden jumps between 3pm and 10pm.

My upstream is congested as on gig1 I cannot exceed 30-40mbit quite often, if I do a upload in evenings the latency skyrockets to the 100s as docsis is maxed out, but at 4am it only slightly increases whilst also getting 54mbit, as other users might see a massive blue spike on their TBB's so for the sake of the docsis node, I now cap my uploads to 28mbit. So I dont make everything messy on the node. Downstream is perfect though even at 9pm, I assume because on gig1 there is exclusive use of the 3.1 channel there is a degree of isolation from congestion from lower tier users. Whilst upstream is just 4 QAM64 channels for everyone.

When I was last on VM about 10 or so years ago, the jitter was over 5ms, and even at 3am was worse than what I have now at peak.

There is a low latency docsis tech, but I think as VM are now shifting their focus to GPON, I expect it probably wont get deployed.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote