View Single Post
Old 22-04-2024, 20:04   #543
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Online Safety Bill

From 0:17 (less adverts) Marianas Spring, the BBC Disinformation Correspondent Journalist, talks about about internet trolls:

https://www.itv.com/watch/katie-pipe...9/10a2809a0022

What drives somebody to troll somebody that they've never met and don't even know? Through her research Ms Spring has found that the trolls she has met are very frustrated, angry, upset people who feel let down. They then take out their frustrations on one particular person because user to user sites allow you to dehumanised the person on the other end as a result they don't psychologically think or behave as though the person is real. One troll who was traced was interviewed about their behaviour and casually said that he used to close his phone and went to bed after trolling somebody.

After explaining that there is actually another person with feelings who is being affected by their actions, a lot of trolls are able to reflect on their behaviour and say "I didn't realise that I was causing harm in tjat way".

She goes on to say rhat, although trolls are the bad guys, they are sometimes victims themselves because they're falling foul of the content that they're seeing themselves and it's leading them to behave in a harmful way.

In essence, I think she's saying that she believes in the phenomenon that "Hurt people hurt people'.

I've met this young lady and she's very professional and wise for her age. She's totally committed to her job and genuinely wants to help in every aspect of her job.

Sadly, out of all BBC journalists, she receives 80% of the abuse directed at them. She believes that the ultimate aim of trolls is to drive people off various websites, but that this won't succeed as part of her job is to be on social media. She deals with the abuse she gets by viewing it as a case study (which is the best way to deal with it IMO).

Finally, she says that websites appear to be more interested in making money than protecting their users (again something that I agree with her about).

---------- Post added at 20:04 ---------- Previous post was at 19:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Parents need guidance on parenting. Colour me surprised.
In Finland they have social media literacy lessons. It wouldn't be a bad idea for us to have them too.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 22-04-2024 at 20:02.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote