View Single Post
Old 25-08-2020, 19:05   #5
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: UPnP or not UPnP? That is the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
I thought that features of UPnP is that the process on the inside can open a port on firewalls to allow traffic to that process. This makes things nice and easy for users as they don't need to understand about ports/firewalls etc, things just work.
On the downside, just because a device asks for a port to open, do you really want it to? Your CB Webcam could be a case in point. You may be OK for it to connect to your home recorder but if it can use UPnP and it's turned on at the router ...

Things are a bit more complex than this but I don't turn on UPnP on the router. If I have a service I want exposed I can do that manually.
I'm preparing to turn off UPnP by port-forwarding everything that I can think of that might need it, e.g. the teen's games. I guess it will have to be trial and error for everything else.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote